TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Jim&Joan

The slop is at the interface of the post and the caster socket. Therefore the slop is not a function of extension of post.
The trailer is is much easier to get rolling when the post is higher. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
'Sloppy on the post" should be made worse by cranking it higher (by cranking up the post, "slop" would allow more slopping with a longer post length, right?). And cranking it even a foot or two higher wouldn't appreciably change the weight carried on the post (the same trailer loads are basically still in the same positions horizontally).

The swivel of the caster wheel would move the support point for the tongue plus or minus a few inches, though, with a lighter tongue load when pushing the trailer backwards vs pulling it frontwards. A few inches probably wouldn't amount to much. But a swing tongue that moves the tongue support point from from 2 feet forward to 2 feet back should have a considerable effect (for example, reducing the effective distance of the post to the axle from about 120" to about 70" would add substantially to the weight on the post and caster wheel).

Something else to play with on the scale.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
ThePair
TrailManor Master

+1 to Harbor Freight for the dolly and winch. Winch was the cheapest remote model available, works well, albeit slow. But, for $50 or less, I'm not really complaining, vs. who knows how much for an RF remote model from another source?

I have the cheapo dolly as well, and I just make sure I've inflated the tires before each use. It seems like it's a little flimsy, in that the fit and finish is poor, and the handle wiggles, but it's not showing any signs of failure yet, and again, I won't cry over the cost if I ever need to replace it.

Something to be said for cheap Chinese knock-offs, indeed
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Joan View Post
The slop is at the interface of the post and the caster socket...
Sorry, I was thinking about the other end of the post. I'm glad it works!

mmDv
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
moaboy

I also use the Harbor Freight dolly and it works well. I did buy a different ball-it comes with 17/8 and replaced it with a 2 inch ball with a longer shaft that allowed me to add about an inch worth of big washers so the ball is mounted higher. This way I don't have to lower the TM to as low as it would go, before the modification.
And be especially careful if you are dealing with any approach that is not level, as on the dolly, once the TM has momentum it is not easy to stop.
Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
And be especially careful if you are dealing with any approach that is not level, as on the dolly, once the TM has momentum it is not easy to stop.
A very good point. Here's a lesson I learned in a campground, almost the hard way. Before you put the tongue on the dolly, fix in your mind where the cable to the breakaway switch is hanging, and which way you pull it to pull the pin and apply the brakes.

Yes, it is right in front of you, and yes, you pull it forward. But in a moment of panic, you don't want to have to stop and think about what to do.

Just my thought (and experience).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
mbd4kids

Not sure what you are aiming toward, but we have a Power Caster Electric Dolly that we purchased when we bought out TM, and do not use. Would love to sell it if you are interested. We are outside of Phila, PA.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #17
rumbleweed

Not pushing the above for sale post, but I have a power dolly and I love it. I can put my TM withing 2" of the wall with one hand. The power dolly is expensive, but I figure it is less than back surgery. If you have any grade at all, the hand dolly is difficult. By all means if you try it, tie a string to the breakaway line and then to the handle of the dolly so you can pull it quickly. ( make sure you have the battery connected).
Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #18
Steverino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbd4kids View Post
Not sure what you are aiming toward, but we have a Power Caster Electric Dolly that we purchased when we bought out TM, and do not use. Would love to sell it if you are interested. We are outside of Phila, PA.
You have a PM...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
moaboy

did you sell your power dolly?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
darlene&ed

That sounds like a simple, cost effective idea to use an electric winch to pull your TM into your garage, particularly for folks like me with a driveway which slopes down from the garage.
Appreciate if you can reply with any information on how you installed your winch in the garage, like how did you securely mount it and any other tips or advice. Thanks in advance for your reply.