TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
rmcdanel

Default 2009 Subaru Tribeca

OK, I'm another (relatively) new owner. We are towing our 3023 with a 2009 Subaru Tribeca. We bought it with the towing package and had electric brakes installed. We do have the weight distributing hitch as well. So far we have taken two long trips: one to the Great Smokies and another to Eastern South Dakota (we live in central Indiana). Gas mileage is pretty poor, around 15 or 16 mpg but it seems to pull ok. What I'm wondering after reading the posts here is if we are underpowered. The Tribeca is rated at 3500 and the Trail Manor gives two gross weights, 2750 and 3000 lbs. We do carry a good bit of stuff and are really in no position to buy another vehicle to pull the thing with. Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcdanel View Post
OK, I'm another (relatively) new owner. We are towing our 3023 with a 2009 Subaru Tribeca. We bought it with the towing package and had electric brakes installed. We do have the weight distributing hitch as well. So far we have taken two long trips: one to the Great Smokies and another to Eastern South Dakota (we live in central Indiana). Gas mileage is pretty poor, around 15 or 16 mpg but it seems to pull ok. What I'm wondering after reading the posts here is if we are underpowered. The Tribeca is rated at 3500 and the Trail Manor gives two gross weights, 2750 and 3000 lbs. We do carry a good bit of stuff and are really in no position to buy another vehicle to pull the thing with. Any suggestions?
You are towing over your tow rating. If you don't have a trans cooler it should be added. If you can switch to synthetic fluids, I would. You may want to look at the Hensley Cub system. Put as little cargo as possible in the vehicle and don't carry water. Take it easy!

As far as mileage, you are putting a big load on the vehicle. The mileage is what it is. Again, take it easy!

Koz
Old 04-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Look on the cabinet doors, usually by the sink. There should be a weight figure called Unloaded Vehicle Weight. This is the weight of the camper before accessories such as A/C or awning. The chart will give you how much to add for water and propane. You will most likely find yourself over the 3500# tow capacity. Before adding in the weight of A/C and awning our 2720SL UVW is 3218# just as an example.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
My 3023 weighs about 4000# with what I consider to be a light load:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

<paragraph deleted after I read a little on the Tribeca -- See post below>

There are a lot of posts in this forum about Gas mileage. Gas mileage of 15 or 16 is better than many tow vehicles running solo, and those are really not bad results while towing a TrailManor. More power or a bigger tow vehicle would definitely not make gas mileage any better.

I would expect that a 200hp v6 would be able to tow along the Interstate Highways anywhere, though perhaps not always holding the speed limit on long climbs. But if you take it easy (especially on hot summer days), you'll probably get where you need to go. As PitBull said a couple posts ago, take it easy!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default Tribeca tow test

Quote:
Here is a towing test of a Tribeca. It seems to have been done in Australia so some aspects of the vehicle could be different from yours. To convert KG's to pounds multiply by 2.2.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.a...-tribeca-20959

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Here is a towing test of a Tribeca. It seems to have been done in Australia so some aspects of the vehicle could be different from yours. To convert KG's to pounds multiply by 2.2.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.a...-tribeca-20959

Tom
2.2x2000 = 4400# tow capacity (This is sounding better already).

Here's some numbers in things like foot-pounds instead of newton-meters:
http://www.insideline.com/subaru/tri...u-tribeca.html
http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/tribec...tyle=100887179

I'm not seeing major problems with this as a tow vehicle, as long as you're using a Weight Distributing Hitch and assuming you can make the gross tow vehicle weight and axle weights come out OK on the truck scale.

rmcdanel, can you tell us what it says in the owners' manual about towing and check to see if there's anything interesting on the drivers' side door post sticker, like a number for the Gross Combined Weight Rating?
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
moaboy

You have more capacity than I do with my 2000 Honda Odyssey and it tows my 2720 just fine-granted I go slow up the mountains. I did add a trany cooler.
And all in all I'd say your mileage -while not good- is not that bad.
Take it easy and keep your fluids maintained and I think you'll be fine.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Brutus

Quote:
Looks like you're fine, but certainly pushing it. 3.6L has good HP and torque. 5-speed auto much better than CVT with same 3500# rating. If you haven't had the burnt tranny smell by now, you're probably good-to-go. That said, don't tell Subaru what you're towing, ever. Spend a few bucks and put the 3023 on a scale (loaded down same as for your previous trips) and then you'll know what you're dealing with.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
rmcdanel

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. When I bought it I got the towing package which included the transmission cooler. I also took it by the dealership with the trailer attached and no comments were made other than the expected "what the hell is that?" Trailmanors aren't very common around here.
I guess I am pretty well stuck with what I have. There is no way I can afford to swap out vehicles or buy another one. I'll take the advice about taking it easy and see what happens.