TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you like to cook while camping, don't buy cheap, thin-bottomed pots & pans. Either buy yourself new ones for your house (if you already have quality pots & pans, but they could be refreshed) and use the old ones for camping, or just buy a couple of good-quality pans for the TM. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
If you like to cook while camping, don't buy cheap, thin-bottomed pots & pans. Either buy yourself new ones for your house (if you already have quality pots & pans, but they could be refreshed) and use the old ones for camping, or just buy a couple of good-quality pans for the TM. Just my 2 cents worth.
My wife cooks GREAT now we wont go into when we first met how she cooked. When we purchased our TM we did as was suggested here & completely out fitted it with separate everything. When we went to find a good pot set we ended up with a Cuisinart nesting set that rivals her very expensive fancy ones she has at home. Oh & we found them at Camping World.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
mary ann k

My husband and I don't like to open the camper before we go so we pack our clothes in a laundry basket and take a cooler with items for the fridge. When we get to the campground we turn on the fridge and transfer from the cooler. Same with dry goods. I have two plastic drawers that become my pantry placed on the counter next to the wardrobe. When we get ready to leave we empty the fridge, refill the laundry basket with whatever we didn't wear plus a plastic bag of dirty laundry, and we're done. It makes things really easy because we don't need to open up before we leave for a trip or after we return.

We haven't stayed at a place without electricity and we haven't taken a trip where we're moving around. Obviously if we were going to several locations we'd plug in the battery at our first location and charge it up so we wouldn't have to unload the fridge.

This system really works for us.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
Scott O

This points out something important about camping in general and the TM specifically. Over time, we all develop a system which works for us. I can't imagine going on a trip without opening up before and after. I always turn on the fridge 24 hours before we leave, as it takes 8-12 hours to reach the desired cold temp. Mary Ann has some ideas which work for her and really have some merit. I may try some of them! It would be nice to just hitch up and go and it would require the final cleaning be done before we left for home, which is very doable. Interesting thoughts.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Yes some good ideas as for us we keep ours setup in backyard 24-7 which allows us unlimited access to work on projects, stock it before a trip which since we have the TM setup with most everything needed permanently isn't much more than clothes, food, computers etc. We are weird we even use it sometimes in backyard for cookout just for fun & to make sure we are very familiar with what is needed for trips.

I know tis isn't possible for allot of you but if you are able to leave it setup it is nice.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
randmfam

Default We bought it!

Thanks SO MUCH to all of you for your very considerate postings. We decided to buy the 2619! I'm sure I'll pick up more tips and tricks from this forum as we get started on our TM camping adventures, but wanted to send out this big THANK YOU to you all. Can't wait to use it!!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
Shandysplace

Default Physical fitness/Fix it yourself skills

We purchased our 3326 new in 11/07 and have very much enjoyed our few trips since then.

Based on this experience we would offer the following suggestions to any couple considering the purchase of a new TM:

Handling a TM requires a certain amount of physical fitness. Can both of you easily squat and stand up again with a minimum of pain/strain to your feet/legs and knees as well as not having any trouble crawling around maintaining/checking the underside of your TM. This is a problem for both of us: Andy is a triple bybass patient and overweight. He tires easily. I'm in better shape, but can barely squat and have knees that aren't in the best of shape. Andy is 71 and I'm 64.

The next issue is maintainence. If you both as a matter of routine maintain your own home (can troubleshoot/repair the most common plumbing/electrical issues), then combined w/the information on this forum, you should to fine not to mention actually enjoying tinkering with and possibly modifying your TM as many on this forum do.

Andy is not the least bit handy and neither am I. We just lost our dealer and the nearest one is over 2 hours away. If anything breaks or malfunctions we have to pay someone to repair it.

So from our perspetive if you're in reasonably good shape for your age and you're handy maintaining/repairing everyday issues of this type that owning your own home requires, then you're going to love your TM.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #18
ng2951

Sharon, if you got rid of the air conditioner it would lift like a dream!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ann k View Post
My husband and I don't like to open the camper before we go so we pack our clothes in a laundry basket and take a cooler with items for the fridge.
That reminded me of a humorous story that happened to some friends of mine one time. They would do the same and throw their clothes in a laundry basket and/or Wally World shopping bags.

They and another couple were pulling their camper trailer down to Florida to camp at Disney World and spend a week down there. They got into a wreck in MS and their trailer was just about totalled. When they called Disney World to tell them what happened, Disney World told them to come on and they would put them at one of their resort hotels for no extra charge (excellent Disney customer service).

Anyway, they left their wrecked trailer at a camper dealer in MS and continued to Orlando with their kids. You can just imagine the way this looked, when they pulled up to this 4-star resort hotels front doors, and start unloading their stuff in clothes baskets and blue Wal-mart bags. My buddy said they were getting some kind of looks from everyone, especially the valets helping them put it all on carts. The Clampitt's go to Disney World.

It's hilarious to hear him tell the story.

Tags
process, processes, winterizing