TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
BPWSWW51

Default Bpwsww51 [Retitled: Can I tow with a Chevy Colorado?]

I am a prospective buyer of a trailmanor. I have been ressearching them for a couple of years. I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado with factory towing package. I need to know if I need to install an electric brake system in the cab or get a transmission cooler installed to pull a trailmanor 2720 or 3023. The towing capacity is listed at 5000lbs. Any information you have would be appreciated. Thanks Bev.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Al-n-Sue

Default Bpwsww51

Bev - I think you will find the TM to be an excellent choice. You will not regret getting one. And you can come to the forum for any questions or issues you have.

You MUST have a brake controller - the TM has electric brakes and are required to tow a TM. If you have the factory towing package you most likely have a connector under the dash already. A brake controller is not expensive and easy to install if you have the connector.
Also, if you have a towing package, if should include some heavy duty components - radiator, battery, alternator, and additional transmission cooler. Check your owner's manual for details.
With this setup you should be able to tow a 2720 and probably a 3023.
Good luck and let us know if we can help with any questions.
Alan
Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPWSWW51 View Post
I am a prospective buyer of a trailmanor. I have been ressearching them for a couple of years. I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado with factory towing package. I need to know if I need to install an electric brake system in the cab or get a transmission cooler installed to pull a trailmanor 2720 or 3023. The towing capacity is listed at 5000lbs. Any information you have would be appreciated. Thanks Bev.
Hi Bev,

I'm just curious......where did you find the tow capacity of 5,000#?? I'm not saying that isn't correct. You just need to be very sure that YOUR Colorado has that tow capacity and you aren't going by what some salesman or friend says.

The tow capacity on the std Colorado is 1900#. The largest tow capacity that I can find on Cars.com is 4000#. That doesn't mean that is correct but it is very important that you know for sure.

Also, you should know the listed GCWR on your vehicle? The tow rating means very little, especially when it is border-line. If you can give me the GCWR, I can help you figure out if that vehicle is suitable.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
BPWSWW51

i JUST LOOKED IN MY OWNERS MANUAL AND IT SAYS 4000LBS FOR MY COLORADO. I FORGOT TO SAY THAT IT IS FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND A QUAD CAB. THE GCRW IS 9000 LBS.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
i JUST LOOKED IN MY OWNERS MANUAL AND IT SAYS 4000LBS FOR MY COLORADO. I FORGOT TO SAY THAT IT IS FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND A QUAD CAB. THE GCRW IS 9000 LBS.
OK, I believe that I may have found your vehicle (however, I found a similar 4x4 crew cab with a 1900# tow capacity and 6000# GCWR) be sure that these #s match YOUR vehicle. It would be very dangerous to assume in this case:
-------------------------------
Curb weight 4,062 lbs.
GVWR 5,300 lbs.
Front GAWR 2,753 lbs.
Rear GAWR 2,896 lbs.
Payload 1,338 lbs.
Front axle capacity 2,753 lbs.
Rear axle capacity 2,900 lbs.
Front spring rating 2,755 lbs.
Rear spring rating 2,900 lbs.
Towing capacity 4,000 lbs.
GCWR 9,000 lbs.
-------------------------------

Here is the way that you should look at the above vehicle:

9,000# GCWR - 4,062# Curb weight = ~5,000 capacity for your loaded trailer, cargo, passengers and fuel.

If your loaded trailer is 3500# (which would be one of the smaller TM....loaded) that would leave you ~1500# for passengers (incl driver), cargo and fuel.

I'd say that is pushing it some, depending on your personal circumstances. I'd leave the dirt bikes home for sure. Watch that GVWR too....that 5300# rating only allows for about 800# for passengers, cargo, fuel after adding the trailer tongue weight (probably 450#).

To answer your question about the trans cooler........definately.....tow package or no, I would put the biggest trans cooler that I could mount on that thing. If it already has one, I'd replace it with a bigger one.

Although.....if you ask TM, they will tell you that you can tow the biggest trailer that they make....no problem.....what they don't tell you is that you won't be able to add anything in the trailer or take any passengers or cargo on your camp-out....sounds pretty boring huh!!!!...oh, and BTW, you could probably only carry about 5g of fuel (unless you let your 100# wife drive the tow vehicle........alone).......

OHHHH!!! I hate myself when I get all sarcastic like that.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Bev,
It also depends a bit on where you are going with the TrailManor. People of altitude need more tow vehicle with their long slopes and high altitudes than we do in the relatively horizontal areas that most of us spend most of our time in. But, to answer your questions directly:
- You need a brake controller to activate the trailer brakes. This is required in all 50 states, as far as I know.
- Transmission coolers are important, but not if your towing package already provides what you need.
- A weight distributing hitch is important for the vast majority of us.
Let us know what you decide!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Bev we tow our 3023 with our Land Rover which has a short wheelbase.

We have the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller & as far as I know it is required to have Trailer Brakes in all states.
We also have a WDH which was needed IMO & sway control although not necessarily needed we have it for extra safety.

Our Rover has been GREAT towing so far including over mountains. Also remember the TM has a lower profile which is naturally better for wind resistance etc.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote