TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
sunliner

Default Blazer vs Sienna for towing?

Hi all,

My wife and I are shopping for our first camper and are very impressed with TM so far. We went to a dealer and walked through several and are contemplating the 2720SL. I'd like to get some input on tow vehicles.
Our two options are:
1. My 1997 Chevy Blazer. It's rated for at least 4500 lbs-maybe 5500; I have to check my axle ratio. I'm the original owner and have done all the maintenance; truck is in good shape, but it does have 135K miles on it.
2. Wife's 2004 Toyota Sienna. Tow rating is 3500 and I've heard mixed reviews so far about towing close to the rating. I'm thinking that since the TM folds down and doesn't have as much aerodynamic drag as other campers, maybe handling won't be so bad (?)

We will most likely be limiting our excursions to the "flatlands" here in Florida, maybe into Mississippi or Texas. Will be a while before I'm brave enough to drag anything into the mountains. Figuring in all this, what would you guys tow with?
Thanks for reading!
-Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Blazer vs Sienna

First, I'm curious about the actual ratings and it might help us all to hear about how the numbers really stack up. Looking at the labels inside the driver's doors and the owner's manuals, can you get us the numbers for each for the curb weight, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the Gross Combined Weight Rating?

Thanks!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
sunliner

Ok for the Sienna:
GVWR: 5,690 lbs
Curb weight 4,310
Tow capacity (trailer+load) 3,500 with towing package
Also FYI the Sienna is front wheel drive

Blazer (RWD):
GVWR: 4,850
Curb Weight 3,686
Tow Capacity: 4,500 lbs with 3.08 Axle ratio
5,500 lbs with 3.42 axle ratio
still gotta figure out what I have, but I'll assume 3.08 for now.

-Mike
Old 03-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Gross Combined Weight Rating

Mike,
We need this number, too because it will tell us the total weight allowed for the combined weight of trailer and vehicle. Most manufacturers borrow some of the allowed trailer weight from the allowed load of the vehicle, but Toyota hasn't done this on other vehicles we've talked about lately. The GCWR will be either on the label at the driver's door or in the owner's manual where it talks about towing. Also while you're in there, look up the wheelbase, too.

Thanks!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote