TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 02:51 AM   #1
Alrhall

Default 93 Volvo 945 TV

People keep asking about my Tow Vehicle, so here is my story;

When I read the specs on TMs I thought Wow! an RV I can tow with my Volvo.
1994 945 2.4L 4 cylinder, Non Turbo, Asian Warner Automatic Trans. 185,000 on the speedo. Estimated Actual mileage 350,000 (I know it has been turned back but I don't know how many times)
I like cars I can fix my self. This is my 4th 940. I had 3 240s before. I drive 35to 45,000 mi per year. The engines and transmissions in the rear wheel drive 4 cylinder Volvos are bullet proof.

I got a great deal on the exact model TM I wanted (2720SL) <10 mile from home.
I installed a brake controller, 30A line for the TM battery, 7 pin connector and added the anti-sway bar ball to my ball mount.
I had a trip planned for 5 days after we signed the paper.
When I went to hook up to my car two of us could not pick up the tongue. I was expecting about a 270 lb tongue weight (10%) on a 2700 lb dry trailer.
When we lowered unto the, ball the hitch dropped ~2 1/2". I could see the stars out the windshield.
Panic set in! There are no WDHs for 1 1/4" receivers.
After a lot of searching I found some one who could get me Air Shocks over night. Well..... actually in 3 days.
I put in the shocks, hitched up, pumped the shocks to 120 PSI (Its not easy to find 120 PSI). The rear came up, the front went down, The Volvo was level, the TM was level and I hit the road, Stuart FL to Tampa, to Orlando, to Stuart, to Charlotte NC.
The shocks constantly leaked down. Handling deteriorated as the shocks would bleed down. This was not a casual tow. However; I was never tossed about by passing trucks or uneven road surfaces. I maintained safe fallowing distances etc.
While in Charlotte I replaced the plastic lines, O rings, Valve, etc.
After a month in the cold (it got down to 17 deg f), I headed back to Florida. The shocks would not inflate. There was a hole in the boot of one. Apparently they were NOS (New Old Stock) and had exceeded their shelf life. I drove home 630 miles on the axle Bump Stops. It still handled better than one would expect.
The parts man got me free replacement shocks.
I have towed my another 800 miles or so at 70 -80 mph (at that speed only 40% of south Florida drivers pass you in a 65-70 zone). It tows rock solid. Stops straight even in a panic stop (love that Primus controller).
I drive alone and don't carry much in the back. However; I don't recommend this setup for the casual driver.
For the last 3 months I have lived in my TM in Homestead, FL. Monday I'm OTR (on the road again). This will be the last trip for the Volvo.

My new TV is a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD Diesel. So much for easy to fix cars.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Freedom

All I can say is that I'm glad you're towing that 2720SL on the opposite side of the country from where I live. The 1 1/4" hitch is not built for that weight and without a WDH it's an accident looking for a place to happen. IMHO
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
All I can say is that I'm glad you're towing that 2720SL on the opposite side of the country from where I live. The 1 1/4" hitch is not built for that weight and without a WDH it's an accident looking for a place to happen. IMHO
I Agree!!!

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrhall View Post
I put in the shocks, hitched up, pumped the shocks to 120 PSI (Its not easy to find 120 PSI). The rear came up, the front went down, The Volvo was level, the TM was level and I hit the road.
I don't understand how the front end went down. I would think the air shocks would raise the back end, even making the car level and TM level, but I wouldn't think any more weight would be put on the front wheels with just air shocks. Can someone enlighten me??

Chap
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Alrhall

Cool Stop Worrying

My new TV is a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD.

One thing I neglected to say, the local TM dealer said that my Volvo was capable of towing a 2720 SL when I asked. He said nothing about the high tongue weight just the 2700 lb dry weight vs the Volvo's 3500 lb rating. Also TrailManor's site gives the same impression.

P.S. The dealer just went broke and the new owners don't sell TMs.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE GOOD ADVICE

AL

Here is a typical South Florida Tow Vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fla TV.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	2326  
Old 10-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Al -

I'm glad you cleared that up. And I'm glad you now have a somewhat better tow vehicle. I was about to ask if you used your spare time to clear unexploded mines from combat areas. It would be on a par with what you described.

On the subject of the TrailManor site, and towing recommendations, I have to disagree with you. TrailManor is one of the few sites that specifically tell you that you must NOT use dry weight in your towing decisions. And it gives some advice about how much extra weight you should consider.

Most trailer manufacturers' sites let you blunder along using dry weight. TrailManor says "Adding options, batteries, gear, fluids can increase loaded weights as much as 1000 pounds above the base weight of a specific trailer. You should add 500-1000 pounds to the base weights to estimate the actual towed weight."

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote