TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Going backwards

My TM is the first thing I have ever towed. In preparation, I read all I could on tips for towing (pushing?) in reverse. Got all the stuff on using the bottom of the steering wheel to direct the rear of the trailer, etc. My service guy swears by using only the sideview mirrors, but I prefer to turn and look out the rear.

With some parking lot practice time, I can pretty much get it where I want it in reverse, but it's not a pretty sight to see. I guess I just have to put in the time and get the experience.

But I sure would appreciate any ideas for improving my skills. If nothing else, I'm providing ample entertainment for my neighbors as I back it into my narrow city driveway on a narrow street with little clearance .
Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Making a gentle turn while backing isn't too hard. Making a tight turn - and straightening out the rig at the end of the turn - is terribly frustrating. If your situation seems untenable, I suppose you might consider one of the electric dollies that are advertised in the trailer magazines. To me they seem horribly expensive, but if the situation demands it, I'm told they can be a lifesaver. Several of our members have bought one, and perhaps they will chime in.

EBay has a ton of hand dollies listed. Harbor Freight has a couple, as well. If your street and driveway are paved and very close to level, then one of them would probably do the job. It would be easier then pushing the TM around on the jack's wheel, and that is do-able on a paved level driveway. I don't see any electric dollies, though.

Or watch Craigslist?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Making a gentle turn while backing isn't too hard. Making a tight turn - and straightening out the rig at the end of the turn - is terribly frustrating. If your situation seems untenable, I suppose you might consider one of the electric dollies that are advertised in the trailer magazines.
I'm not desperate enough for a dollie but can see where it might be handy near the storage area when space is confined.

I get it where I want it, just need practice and tips in order to get it right the first time every time (well, 90% anyway).
Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
mtnguy

I was fortunate to start using mirrors at an early age because of a job involving a box truck, and later a several jobs as a yard jockey for tractor trailers. And some days, I still can't seem to back the TM decently. The bad backing stints seem to be in direct proportion to the number of people watching.

When backing with the TM, I try to fill the mirror more with the side of TM on the side that I want to go too. So, if I want the TM to come over to the drivers side, I want to see down that side of the TM, and the way to do that is to bring the front of the TV over (by steering towards the right) that way so it fills your mirror more. But while watching your mirrors, you still have to watch the swing on the front of TV to make sure you don't hit anything there either. Does that make sense?? I reread it, and it doesn't even make sense to me. But it works for me.

I still rely on the missus to give me directions via 2 way radio. I also carefully survey a site to check for trees that might jump out as I back the TM. You also have to be very careful that you don't get in such an angle that the TM won't come back around with your "straightening up" counter steer.......you can damage your truck and TM with that problem.

I think you are doing it right by the parking lot practice. And that would also be a great place to practice using the mirrors versus over the shoulder method. I have a high truck, and can barely see down the TMs roof.

Chap
Old 10-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default TrailManor Towing Tale

The TrailManor tows (and backs) a little differently, so it takes a little getting used to - even for those of us with lots of previous experience. On our first trip out, I was pulling into a double-length spot in a mall parking lot, when I realized how close the left edge of the TrailManor was to a parked Cadillac on my side. I stopped immediately and discovered there was only one inch clearance and - yes - I would have sideswiped the Cadillac (and dented the TrailManor), if I had not stopped when I did.

The reason was that the TrailManor axle is not in the center of the trailer; it's further back on the chassis. This arrangement is great, because it helps eliminate sway and it makes for smoother towing (less rocking). But, the tail end of the TrailManor doesn't swing as much as the front-end does, when turning. The back corner tracks INSIDE where the front corner has been, in a turn, unlike my other campers and utility trailers. I just need to remember that every time I'm pulling the TrailManor and turn a little wider with the front end.

Incidentally, if I hadn't been using my McKesh mirrors, I'm pretty sure I would not have seen what was happening and been able to react as quickly as I did. I recommend a proper set of mirrors for both towing and backing, so you can see what's coming, as well as what's going on.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
The TrailManor tows (and backs) a little differently, so it takes a little getting used to - even for those of us with lots of previous experience. On our first trip out, I was pulling into a double-length spot in a mall parking lot, when I realized how close the left edge of the TrailManor was to a parked Cadillac on my side. I stopped immediately and discovered there was only one inch clearance and - yes - I would have sideswiped the Cadillac (and dented the TrailManor), if I had not stopped when I did.

The reason was that the TrailManor axle is not in the center of the trailer; it's further back on the chassis. This arrangement is great, because it helps eliminate sway and it makes for smoother towing (less rocking). But, the tail end of the TrailManor doesn't swing as much as the front-end does, when turning. The back corner tracks INSIDE where the front corner has been, in a turn, unlike my other campers and utility trailers. I just need to remember that every time I'm pulling the TrailManor and turn a little wider with the front end.
Excellent observation which, I think, also explains why it is trickier to back up. The aft placement of the wheels also make the rear end turn immediately when being "pushed" going backwards.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Joseph

Default Slow and steady . . .

When backing I go S L O W . . .

The more people watching the

S L O W E R

I

G O ..
Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

If I don't have good views I get out and look. Several times. If it amuses the onlookers so be it. It would interest them more if I smacked into something.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote