TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
#1. I imagine there is not much time difference between setting up a TM and setting up the beds in a hybrid.

Chap
I have a friend with a Palomino Hybrid. one thing that I did like was the gally and bathroom were readily accessible without set up. What I did not like was the height and the canvas walls for the bed area. Often she would not even set up the real bed but instead would sleep on the dinette that converts to a bed.

Cheri
Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
PopBeavers

I have no sway problems when towing. My TV is a little larger than what some others are using. I have passed MHs that were obviously fighting a stiff cross wind, while I had no problems at all.

In my experience, the trick to getting the TM to not rock/roll/wiggle, is to chock the wheels very tightly. I set the front chocks on both wheels, and then use the TV to pull the TM tightly into the chocks. Then I set the rear chocks on both wheels as tightly as I can. Then I put the TV in neutral to let the TM settle into the center of the chocks. Then I disconnect.

I only set the the four corner jacks as tightly as my bare hand will allow me to turn it. I only use the cordless drill for rapid deployment.

Since I adopted this method my TM is so rock solid that if DD(26) comes in from her tent to use the TM toilet in the middle of the night it will not wake us up. That is good enough for me. I don't think you can achieve better than that in any RV.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
In my experience, the trick to getting the TM to not rock/roll/wiggle, is to chock the wheels very tightly. I set the front chocks on both wheels, and then use the TV to pull the TM tightly into the chocks. Then I set the rear chocks on both wheels as tightly as I can. Then I put the TV in neutral to let the TM settle into the center of the chocks. Then I disconnect.
Wayne, I am going to borrow your method next time camping. I usually just kick the chocks under the wheels.....but your system seems much better.

Chap
Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #14
PopBeavers

Quote:
Wayne, I am going to borrow your method next time camping. I usually just kick the chocks under the wheels.....but your system seems much better.
Chap
Be aware that you will be unable to kick the chocks out when it is time to leave, they will be that tight.

I hook up the TV and pull forward to relieve pressure on the rear chocks, remove rear chocks and then back up slightly to remove front chocks.

Use care so that the TV and TM do not move while removing the chocks and rolling the TM fore and then back.

After some thought, I have concluded that when it is desirable to use the TV to put a strain on to chocks, it is better to be pulling on the TM that it would be to be pushing on it.

I don't recommend this method for everyone, because it is annoying. However, it does remove the annoying stability problem. For anyone happy with the stability of the TM while in use, then don't waste your time following my method.

It works for me. DW, DD and DS aren't complaining.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
After some thought, I have concluded that when it is desirable to use the TV to put a strain on to chocks, it is better to be pulling on the TM that it would be to be pushing on it.
I agree....pulling forward puts strain on the ball housing, while pushing back puts the strain on the pawl.

Chap
Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Towing Info

Our TrailManor weighs nearly the same thing our popup camper did, but it's much easier to tow. One reason is we use a weight-distributing hitch with sway control, now. Another reason is the TrailManor's axle location.

Gas mileage is the same.

Happy camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
Tuscany Bandit

Quote:
I agree....pulling forward puts strain on the ball housing, while pushing back puts the strain on the pawl.

Chap

pawl:
a pivoted tongue or sliding bolt on one part of a machine that is adapted to fall into notches or interdental spaces on another part so as to permit motion in only one direction
Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #18
larsdennert

Quote:
A hybrid looks like a traditional TT when in transit, but the beds fold down similar to a pop-up when ready to camp. The mattresses are stored in the TT, and the bed has to be made each time you set up.

Chap
Ah thanks. I've seen those. I could never figure out why they would go through all the trouble to have solid walls and then put a canvas tent bed in. You're just back to flapping canvas, less heat and sound insulation.

I go camping on the beach north of Santa Barbara, CA every year and there is a train track and CA hwy 101 less than 1/4mile away. In years past, the jake-brake trucks would make it tough to fall asleep and the train would wake me up when sleeping in a tent. This year we took the TM and I slept right through. My wife said she woke up briefly from the train but she sleeps really light.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #19
Chuck C C

We had a problem with water and mud splashing into the TM and on to the back wall while towing in the rain. A quick trip to the dealer and a minor adjustment solved that problem with no reoccurance.

No swaying in tow, minimal reduction in gas mileage and easy setup/tear down are just some of the many things we enjoy with our TM.

We would buy another TM before buying any other TT I know of.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #20
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldma View Post
1. Don't the side wall and curtains get dirty and wet when towing in the rain?
We never experienced any moisture or dirty curtains in all the years we owned our TM, and we covered lots of miles (over 16,000) in all kinds of weather. Didn't get the insides wet, either, setting up in torrential downpours... until I walked into the trailer sopping wet and dripped all over the floor as I took my wet clothes off!!!

Quote:
2. The toilet seems like kind of a pain to dump, because the TM is closed if your not at a full service site. Does it dump as easy as the travel trailers?
As stated by others, it is a simple process if you methodically think through what you're going to do while you close down. For us it was part of our "closing process."

Quote:
3. We visited a camper dealer and they said they use to carry TM's, but had to many service problems with them being out of line. They said there is not enough support for the beds and they move side to side when used and that makes them out of alignment. Fact or Fiction?
Fiction!!! This dealer "used to" carry TM's. There is a reason he no longer carries them, and it is most likely that TM pulled their product from him due to a negative attitude, or maybe worse... he wasn't providing the service they require.

We bought our unit from Dinuba RV when they were still in Dinuba, CA. It is a terrific company to do business with. Other owners in different parts of the nation know of all the good dealers for TM. Stick with their recommendations.

With respect to "what to buy." Only you know what best fits your needs. For us, after owning two different tent trailers for about 12 years, we wanted to get away from the "wet canvas syndrome." We sold our TM after 3 years of ownership because our physical needs changed. So, review what you need, and what you want, and go for it.