TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #21
Dixielou

Been reflecting on PopBeavers last comments regarding the original post question--4x4 or 4x2 for Camping?--in which he presents another functional advantage to 4WD vehicles in camping, and then concludes with "...us Boy Scouts are always prepared."

I've been around long enough to remember the days 4WD vehicles were not commonplace. I remember the 1945 Jeeps and Land Rovers, and the classic '63 Jeep Wagoneer. In those days not too many working people had the option of owning one of those new fangled 4x4's.

Yet, in those days grown-up Boy Scouts still managed to be prepared when they ventured out in inclement weather, or ventured into the country for a picnic or a night under the stars in the luxury of a Coleman tent. Planning ahead and being aware of one's surroundings, using caution, were all part of being prepared. Additionally, we all carried a tow strap or chain and other common sense aids and tools, a shovel for example. Then too, we were all willing to be a good Samaritans, as well as seek one out, when a helping hand was needed. The truth is that being prepared really starts between the ears--I've seen 4x4's stuck in the mud as well as a 4x4 unable to negotiate a turn on a loose gravel slope.

A 4x4 or a 4x2 for camping? It all depends........

Here is a link from RV.NET that explores this topic in greater detail. You will read more from those who would never buy a 4x4 as well as from those who would never think of buying anything without the 4x4 capability. Enjoy:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm
Old 08-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #22
PopBeavers

I have a friend that works in San Jose and lives in the mountains nearby. In the winter time it is not uncommon for his neighbors to wait until he goes to work and then follow him.

The neighborhood is a private dirt road several miles long. He lives at the end. The first one out in the morning after a storm better have 4wd and a chainsaw. He not only has to cut the tree that fell across the road, but he as to drag it out of the way. If he did have 4wd, then he might be able to drag it with 2wd, but he would spend more time cutting it up into smaller pieces.

When a redwood tree falls across the road it is a fair amount of work to clear it.

I was at home when the Loma Prieta Quake hit, about 5 miles from my house as the crow flies. Though it did not do substantial damage to the houses in my neighborhood I am suer everyone is familiar with what they saw on TV. With 4wd it is just a little easer to get through some situations of closed roads. Some roads not far from my house had a crack in the road that was 3 feet wide and 30 feet deep. That becomes something interesting to drive across or around.

I hope I never have a neighbor ask to borrow my truck to transport a family member to the hospital because the roads are impassible with their car.

Not everyone needs 4wd. But in some locations it sure is nice when some of your friends and neighbors have one.