TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
BeachDog

Default 2518 and a Ford Van

We like to weekend at the beach and have outgrown our small folding camper. (its an Esterel with a 6x12 box) Found a TrailManor 2518 that needed a little TLC last year and snatched it up. With the size and tongue weight, we decided it was time for a new tow vehicle.

We’re looking at a Ford Econoline customized van, very used to keep the price down since this will mostly be used for weekends every now and then. Looking at the campinglife.com tow ratings it says we need a 3.55 rear axle – but I think that’s for the maximum weight of 6900#. How can I determine the rear axle ratio? Carfax only tells me the engine size….

One ad said it had a 2.73 rear axle, which from what I’ve found is too small for towing, but we're only pulling a 2518.

So, what rear axle do I need and will a full size van need a weight distributing hitch?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDog View Post
How can I determine the rear axle ratio? Carfax only tells me the engine size….One ad said it had a 2.73 rear axle, which from what I’ve found is too small for towing, but we're only pulling a 2518.
For trucks at least, the axle ratio coding is contained in 'Position 9' of the VIN number. This sticker should be on the door jamb of the vehicle. You'll need some sort of decoder like this: http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...r_Decoder.html

Not sure if above decoder is also applicable to vans - you may have to do some searching on the 'net. You could always call a local Ford dealer with the VIN number and they should be able to tell you the Axle Ratio that was used when the vehicle was manufactured. It is very unlikely that a prior owner would change out rear axle gearing. Never heard of a 2.73 axle - are you sure it wan't 3.73?

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
grakin

If it really is a 3.73 axle, that vehicle should tow more than a vehicle with a 3.55 axle.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
BeachDog

Thanks for the replies. I found a list of axle codes @ http://www.drivetrain.com/Fordtrkratio_posidata.html which lists code ‘12’ as a 2.73, but its not a limited slip and I think all vans have a limited slip differential. Of course this site only lists the F series and Excursion models, so the E series may have different numbers. I also found a VIN decoder https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp but it doesn’t mention the axle rating, may have to get that off the door sticker.

With no steep grades on the way to the beach I’d like to get a Windstar/Freestar since they have a 120” wheelbase and get better mileage, but they can’t handle the tongue weight without WDH, then there’s the towing mirror etc… So the full-size van is looking like the best option.

How big a part does the axle ratio play in the towing equation? I don’t want to move houses, jut my little ol’ TM!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Doug W.

I have a 2003 Ford E-150 conversion van I tow a 3124KS with. You did not state the engine size on your van. Mine has the 5.4L, so engine power is not a problem.

You could get by without a WDH, but I would not recommend it. TMs have the axle futher back on the trailer, which makes them more stable and have less sway. It also increases the tongue weight. I get quite a bit of drop when I put my TM on my van without the WDH. That comes in handy getting my TM to my lower driveway without scrapping. It is not good for normal towing for two reasons. First, it points your headlight higher which will be irritating to other drivers. Second, it can affect handling. I think the full size Ford van is beefy enough for that not to be a problem, but I am not going to try it.

I also recommend extention mirrors. I have the nice factory mirrors with the upper normal mirror and the small very convex lower mirror. I can see fine out of the left mirror I can see behind the trailer and really do need the extention mirror for the left side. I do not know why since I have the lower convex mirror, but the right upper mirror is the normal slightly convexed mirror many vehicles have now. I can not see behind the trailer at all out of the right mirrror and need the extention mirror for that side. Since the come in pairs, I go ahead and use both.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

I don't know anything about axles and wheel bases. I have a 2518 and I tow with a Chevy Astro. They have a 5500 lb towing capacity. Most mini vans are 3500. We towed it home with a Nissan Quest and no wdh. It was a harrowing experience. We had no idea that it would be that heavy. The Astro, however has been great and the wdh was a must. When we replace the astro, we will go to a full size van to make more room for our dogs (who's numbers may be increasing soon.) Next I will start working on DH to get a bigger TM.
Cheri