TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Default Nanco Tires

The tral problem seems to be Nanco tires made in 2005 between certain date:

Here is a link to the thread...it has pics of the dry rot problem....I will try to post a link first...if that doesn't work I will post segments of the thread. It is such a BIG problem that they keep the thread pinned to the top so no one misses it.

http://www.outbackers.com/forums/ind...showtopic=8034
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Nanco has been good about shipping out 5 new tires whenever a problem comes up. The thread is 13 pages and is in the "problems and solutions after market" section. If you ever wondered what tire rot looks like there are excellent photos here.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

It's interesting to note that Michelin, Bridgestone, Cooper and most other popular tire providers apparently do not sell trailer tires. There are probably reasons for that. I've been told that Kelly and some others are made by Goodyear and the rest are manufactured offshore. I talked to a Maxxis rep at the Tour of California bike race in Feb and he told me their tires are made all over the world with many coming from Taiwan. I asked about China and he admitted they are made there as well. Who would have ever guessed that Taiwan would some day be used to imply they sell quality stuff.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
wmtire

There are literally thousands of tire brands, but not many tire maufacturers. Goodyear Corp (U.S. Co)actually owns the brands of Kelly, Dunlop, Remington, and others as subsidiaries. Michelin (French Co.) owns BF Goodrich and Uniroyal. Bridgestone (Japanese Co.) owns Firestone, and the list goes on.

Most of all the name brands have gotten out of the trailer tire market, with goodyear marathon being an exception. You are very limited in your choices for trailer tires. Since there isn't a whole lot of competition, we're kinda stuck in a darned if we do, or darned if we don't situation.

Even though you buy a goodyear, there is no guarantee it was even made in the United States. These companies have factories all over the world. I'm really surprised that goodyear still has a trailer tire available. If they were forced to recall them, I'd sure look for them to discontinue the whole line.

I sell nanco, duros, and deestones.......mainly because I CAN get them, not because I think they are great tires. My choices are very limited. I personally don't like marathons or carlisles ( they make a decent lawnmower tire, but not a trailer tire).
Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
Reading the posts, it appears that Nanco tires had a mfg problem during 2005. It also seems that some new trailers had old tires installed. One would expect that new trailers came with new tires.
Once during and oil change on my tv, the service guy said my tires were beginning to weathercrack and he just happened to have some new ones in stock that he could let me have at a bargain. When I inspected the "new" tires, I discovered that while still on the shelf, they were only couple of months newer than those currently on my tv.
We always need to be knowledgable and alert.
Now we've seen Carlisles bad characteristics; Nanco to be disappointing; Goodyear Marathons leaving a lot to be desired; and no one coming forward with any good news about great tires.....
And so we wait for some one with experience with better ones....
Leon...from what I have heard is the tires were new...as in unused but the mfg date showed they were old as in having set around a l-o-n-g time before being installed on a newer model camper.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Frank,
Cooper Tire & Rubber does make a limited range of trailer tires: ST225/75R15, ST205/75R15 & ST205/75R14.
They are listed under the SUV selection on their site.
http://www.coopertires.com/Flash/index.aspx
Mastercraft brand is made by Cooper and has the same tires listed under SUV.
http://www.mastercrafttires.com/us/en/suvSegment.asp
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote