TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
DC Randy

Default Should I sign the papers??

Began researching for a camper a while ago, to find a pull along that would be best for a nervous tower, using a 6 cyl Jeep Liberty (cleared for 5000 lbs of towing). I have been camping since I was a kid--tent camping and later to a Coleman pop-up. My parents are now in their 60s and have a 5th wheel, having one through several travel trailers of various length. The point...I am no stranger to campers.

I've put a down payment on, and am supposed to go sign papers and pick up a 2008 2620SL this coming Saturday. I had my parents go look at the model I found via TM's recommended dealers (its in SC and I'm in DC). I knew at the price, they would tell me if it was a rip-off, or a solid unit. Mom called with glowing praise from the dealership, and walked me through all the components, while I viewed online asking her about specific things.

Yesterday I drove up to PA to a dealership to see an actual unit. Loved it...even more than I thought. This dealer was just starting to carry the TMs and they did a poor job at answering questions. SPECIFICALLY..and here it comes...this &$^#% toilet.

Yes, I've read alllllllll the postings here about theh topic. And thank goodness I found Bill's total explanation of how it works (THANK YOU!). But now I'm scared to death to spend all this money, only to feel like I have to use the campground faciility. I don't "do" public toilets.

More times than not, I plan on using campgrounds with full hookups, or worse case, dump station. I have a nose like a bloodhound and will not tolerate bad odors (especially when it's where I'll be sleeping!!).

I just cannot imagine ANYONE would continue to buy these EXPENSIVE popups if this toilet was an odor nightmare. It really sounds like using the blue deodorant liquids and pills, and dumping (probably daily??), would keep any problem away??

Anyway..I would really love to hear some thoughts. I have to decide this week whether to go get the unit. I've gone from restless nights dreaming of my cozy camper, to restless nights cursing myself for possilby being unhappy for buying it.

Thanks all.
Randy
Washington DC
Old 09-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Randy -

How on earth did you conclude that you have to use campground facilites, or else the toilet will be an odor nightmare?

You do need to use a blue deodorant liquid. We each have our favorites, and everyone seems happy with their own choice.

You don't need to dump every day, though you can if you choose to, of course.

In the many, many posts about the toilet, we have had a number of people claim "a nose like a bloodhound". I believe that they have all been satisfied with the TM toilet, once they get used to using it and learn how to operate it in a way that please them most.

You can always run the bathroom fan. It is a bit noisy, but it is there.

A couple people have gone so far as to build vent systems directly to the outside - one passive and one powered, as I recall. I'll see if I can dig out the links. I thought about it, but never decided I needed it.

Here's one, but the pictures are gone
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1012

Thetford offers an optional vent - see
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3395

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
DC Randy

Thanks Bill. I guess reading too many toilet posts redors made me a bit uneasy. As my Mom and I were saying this morning, if it were a bad problem, no one would buy them.

Hey, were is the fan?? I saw the switch on the bathroom sink, but the dealer didn't know where the fan actually was. As for the fan noise...that's what it's supposed to do! Create a noise buffer for those inside ;-)

Again, thanks for making me feel better.
Randy
Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hi again. The fan's intake vent is located on the side of the bathtub enclosure, near the rear of the toilet. It vents out through a screened hole in the floor under the tub. It seems to me that over the years, the fan was first located on the wall of the bathtub enclosure (under the grille), and then was moved to the top of that screened hole in the floor. The move was a good one, I think, since it reduced the audible noise a bit, and it also put the entire tub area under negative pressure, ensuring that nothing leaks out from under the tub into the living space.

The fan itself is an inexpensive computer-style muffin fan, and it just makes a continuous background rushing sound - something that sounds pretty loud when you first turn it on, but gradually fades into the background. If you decide it is too noisy for your taste, you could either remove it from the floor and reattach it on some rubber washers (to acoutically isolate it from the floor structure), or you couple replace it with a quieter (and probably more expensive) fan.

But I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. I suggest that you just enjoy your TM for a few trips, and then re-consider what you really want to do, if anything, about the entire bathroom topic. My guess is that you will decide you are satisfied. Just follow the advice to use a full bottle of blue liquid (don't try to skimp), and to flush fully and often.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
DC Randy

Again Bill, my sincerest thanks. You've put my mind at ease, and I look forward to enjoying my TM for a long, long time.

Randy
Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
mtnguy

We actually like the Thetford toilet. We mostly dry camp, and it seems to be the best type of toilet for that type of camping. It doesn't use your precious water suppy to flush it. Ours has very little odor when you take precautions.....leave the lid down when not in use, use the Thetford deordorizer, and run the fan a little before and after when doing #2. If you follow several of the ideas posted on the forum about extended use, 2 people should be able to get 4 or 5 days use without dumping.

Chap
Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
DC Randy

Chap...thanks so much. I am so happy that I found this forum. As I suspected, it would be very surprising that TM would have this many loyal owners if this toilet was a "smelly" issue.

Thanks!
Randy
Old 09-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
DC Randy

I totally agree with you Leon...what I might find acceptible, might not be for another. I"m learning to read the posts here with a grain of salt (no offense everyone!). I'm so grateful to have such seasoned TM owners share their thoughts.

Can't wait to pick up my new TM next Saturday!!
Randy
Old 09-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Don't believe it.

DC Randy, people would never think of spending the money on a trailer without learning how to tow it, level and hook it up. With a TM they also will take sometimes voluminous notes on put-up and take-down. Many of these same good folks will use and care for (or not) a recirculating toilet like it was their toilet at home. Learn about ALL your systems. The toilet is no more a problem than the other new things you will learn. Buy it, enjoy it.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
BobRederick

DC Randy,
I want to put in my 2 cents here. All RVs are a trade-off. The TM has a handsome set of advantages and for me, it makes the TM the one I would most often want to take on the road. That's important. Fuel economy, freedom from need of a big dedicated tow vehicle, storage costs, insurance, and ease of towing are a big deal in overall satisfaction. One member said he had all types of RVs and the TM was his all time favorite. That being said, you must learn to cope with it's particuliarities. I like the TM trade set and would recommend the TM to nearly anyone. I think you will like yours as well as you have been around RVs enough to recognize a set of tradeoff parameters that's best for you.

I also had a dealer tell me that average is 7 RVs in a lifetime. Generally trading up to bigger and bigger and lastly trading back down because the one before was too big. Then I talked with motor home owners who were looking at something more practical. I was convinced and like my choice.