TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
BamaFlum

Default Tongue weight

If ya'll don't mind, what are some of the tongue weights you are running with which type of rig? WDH and without. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
If ya'll don't mind, what are some of the tongue weights you are running with which type of rig? WDH and without. Thanks.
A WDH won't change the trailer tongue weight. It just changes the way that the weight is distributed on the TV and trailer axle.

The TW on my '98 2720 was 515#.

I'm pretty sure that ZekenSpider will come on with an up-to-date list of weights of several members trailers.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
BamaFlum

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Doesn't the WDH take some weight off the hitch to redistribute it? With a 5000lbs tow capacity, the hitch limit is usually 500lbs and the TM are usually hitch heavy. I wanted to know actual hitch weights from members and how much the WDH releaves it.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Doesn't the WDH take some weight off the hitch to redistribute it? With a 5000lbs tow capacity, the hitch limit is usually 500lbs and the TM are usually hitch heavy. I wanted to know actual hitch weights from members and how much the WDH releaves it.
In very basic terms, the WDH should take 1/3 of the tongue weight and distribute that to the front wheels of the TV, 1/3 will be distributed to the trailer axle (that's the tricky bit) and 1/3 stays on the rear axle of the TV.

The redistribution of weight usually adds about 60% (I think) to the tongue weight capacity of most trailer hitches. This also varies by the way that the WDH is set-up by the consumer.

Check with your trailer hitch manufacturer to see what the capacity of your particular hitch is with and w/o WDH.

The more critical question to ask is how the WDH effects your TV and your trailer. In some cases, a WDH can actually add as many problems as it resolves.

What tow vehicle and camper do you have?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
BamaFlum

We don't have anything yet. We are researching both a new vehicle and a potential TT. My wife would be driving it mostly and doesn't like the bigger SUV's (we have three kids and a pick up is out). We test drove the Expedition and the Sequoia. We are going to look at the new 2011 Explorer when it comes out (it's rated at 5000lbs) because I don't think the Honda Pilot can handle the hitch weight and it doesn't recommend a WDH. The other three row mid size SUV's don't have the room in the 3rd row we are looking for or the storage capacity behind the 3rd row. The TM seems to be a good combination of hard sided TT that is roomy enough for a family of 5 and light enough to be towed by a mid sized SUV comfortably.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
We don't have anything yet. We are researching both a new vehicle and a potential TT. My wife would be driving it mostly and doesn't like the bigger SUV's (we have three kids and a pick up is out). We test drove the Expedition and the Sequoia. We are going to look at the new 2011 Explorer when it comes out (it's rated at 5000lbs) because I don't think the Honda Pilot can handle the hitch weight and it doesn't recommend a WDH. The other three row mid size SUV's don't have the room in the 3rd row we are looking for or the storage capacity behind the 3rd row. The TM seems to be a good combination of hard sided TT that is roomy enough for a family of 5 and light enough to be towed by a mid sized SUV comfortably.
If you are considering a mid-sized SUV, a WDH is a must IMO. The shorter WB makes a big difference in how much control you have when removing weight from the front axle w/o a WDH.

Having a large family makes the selection of the correct TV more critical. The extra body weight and cargo weight must be considered. Kids tend to get heavier and bring more stuff as they grow older too. IMHO the Expedition or Suburban class vehicle may be a good choice for a larger family (and all that incorporates).

If you are considering buying a new (or later model) TM, they are now installing 15" tires from the factory (which is a good improvement). If you are considering buying an earler TM with 14" tires, just figure on spending another $500 to upgrade to a lift kit and 15" load range "D" or "E" tires.

If I were considering purchasing a new TM, I would ask them to build it with a 5K# axle (it couldn't be more than $200 difference). That would remove a lot of concern about the effects of the WDH and total trailer weight. I don't like the idea of the GVW being so close to the maximum carrying capacity of the axle.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
You're here for all the right reasons.

My hitch weighed 506# the last time we were on the scales, and the exact scale numbers and ratings are on this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

Hitch receivers are often rated higher with a WDH than without, likely in my mind because the spring action of the bars also shifts some of the load to the forward hitch receiver bolts from the back ones, but it's frustratingly hard sometimes to get any details about why things are rated exactly as they are. I wouldn't sweat a 500# hitch receiver with a WDH and tongue weight that's somewhat higher than 500#. But it's important for you to do what you're comfortable with.

I highly recommend the Highlander and the 4Runner as Trailmanor Tow vehicles. They both have 5000# ratings.

We have happy forum members with Honda Pilots, but I think I might want to know more about why they don't recommend the WDH before going that way. And I certainly wouldn't tow a TrailManor without a WDH unless I was towing with something really heavy.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

The Explorer should be a good choice. Check with Bill!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
The Explorer should be a good choice. Check with Bill!
Alas, I'm not sure it is true any longer. The last "real" Explorer was the 2010 model. Starting in 2011, the Explorer is simply a Taurus in wolf's clothing. It has a unibody contruction, rather than body on frame, and partly as a result of that, WRONG STATEMENT - SEE NEXT POST - BILL the tow rating is half what is was. And the optional big engine is now what the standard small engine used to be.

On the other hand, it might be a good time to pick up a "leftover" 2010 - I'm considering it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
BamaFlum

The 2011 Explorer's tow rating is 5000lbs. The old Explorer's rating was much higher but it's interior is cramped and the gas mileage wasn't any better than its big brother the Expedition. For most families, the new Explorer will fit and compete well against the Pilot/Highlander/Hyundai midsize SUV's.