TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
mtnguy

Default Another Lift Kit Question

For anyone who has installed your own lift kit: What did you torque the nuts to??? The specs from the internet and other places list anywhere from 130 to 170 ft/lbs. for a 5/8 bolt w/18 threads/inch. Just wondering what other do-it-yourselfers did. I emailed Trail Manor, but they never got back to me.

The install was pretty straight forward, except trying to get the old rusty bolts off......I had to jack up the pressure on my impact wrench.

FYI.....I found some frayed brake wires during the install also. The wires were pulled too tight where they go through the axle bracket, and had rubbed against the sharp metal there. On 1 wire (the ground, thank goodness) it was down to 3 strands attached....really lucky that I still had brakes.

mtnguy
Old 03-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
For anyone who has installed your own lift kit: What did you torque the nuts to??? The specs from the internet and other places list anywhere from 130 to 170 ft/lbs. for a 5/8 bolt w/18 threads/inch.
mtnguy
Where did you find the installation instructions, Or do they come with the kit? I have a call into TM but haven't heard back.
DH wants to get this done locally by someone who knows nothing about TMs
Cheri
Old 03-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

Thanks!!
Cheri
Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Cowboy Cody

Hi Leon,
I order a kit last week from Ed and he want Ed warned me that it did not come with instructions. He said you needed to cut off the weld on the tube frame. I thought he said it required welding the new section of tubing?
Cowboy Cody
Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
mtnguy

Texas Camper answered the email by 2bcs1jrt to my original start of this thread, which is great, since I am a newbie, and I appreciate any input by the experienced owners. And the installation is pretty straight forward, as stated by Texas Camper. My 2003, 2720 was not welded (but I understand that some of the later models are), and the self installation went smoothly, albeit with a bunch of jacks and jack stands. The installation kit includes 2, 2 1/2" boxed steel pieces with holes already drilled in the proper locations; 4 5/8" x ~4", 18 threads/inch, #5 hardened bolts; 8 flat washers; and 4 "squeezed" nuts that act as locking nuts.

But I never did find out what owners torqued the bolts to, as my original question for the start of this thread. I ended up torqueing (sp?) to 125 ft/lbs., then pulling it to check out the tracking (looked good), and then retorqued to 140 ft/lbs. Does this sound about right ???
Old 04-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

I called the TM Factory and they said they just tighten as tight as possible. We did ours last weekend too! Good that we have mulitple cars hense multiple jacks to use!
Cheri
PS
Mine came with some simple instructions and a diagram of the assembly.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
BrigCA61

How much was the lift kit?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
mtnguy

Brigitte,

I paid $40 for the lift kit. The shipping was around $14.00 for that and some stabilizer bolts that I ordered, also.

You get the steel tubing with holes already drilled, and #8 5/8" bolts, nuts, and washers that are needed. I don't remember getting any instructions.

Chap
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
BrigCA61

Thank you Chap for a very quick response! I think we'll order one.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
bfezel

Lift Kit installation on my 2004 3124KS was simple (other than crawling my 69 year old bones around under the trailer). Instructions are not an issue since you can hardly do anything wrong. I have a torque wrench but didn't use it, choosing istead to tighten the nuts as tight as I could with a an 18 inch breaker bar. Now the later models with a welded axle would be an entirely different matter!

Bill