TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
In addition to finding my TM's weight, I discovered that I was exceeding the tow vehicle's rear axle rating by about 300 pounds.
Yes, a lot of us have been surprised at how close or over the TV's GVWR we are. Trailmanor's tend to put a high % of the trailer weight on their tongue.
17% w/o WDH, 11% with WDH, in my case. This helps with the handling, but sure reduces what you can carry in the TV.

There's a huge difference between many TV's payload (~1100# in my case) and towing capacity (6500#). Of course the towing capacity depends on the trailer's axle and brakes functioning as they should!

Ok, I'm going off-topic here, but this really brings out the difference between trailers and campers. In our trip out west we saw a lot of over-weighted TV/camper combos. And those that looked reasonable were running on one ton trucks and still had a lot less living space than any Trailmanor.

When I was younger I had a half-ton pickup with a camper. Because the truck sagged so much, the dealer suggested an additional leaf in the rear springs. One trip across the continent and the rear bearings were shot.

To my mind a trailer makes a lot more sense if you want any space at all.