TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
toddhenderson

Default Lift kit questions

So, I'm new here, I recently bought an 06 2720SL. It has the 14" wheels and it is time to replace the tires. So, I called the factory, they're out of lift kits right now. Do you know of other sources? Can I get some 2 by 2 stock and drill holes myself, then get a certain grade of bolt? What thickness is the sidewall of the factory 2 by 2 stock? What size bolts do I need, and what grade? I saw there is a currently a tack weld holding the axle in place on the frame. Did you guys just grind off the old weld? Was it fairly easy and non-destructive to the frame? Did you put new welds in place once the lift was installed?

Maybe you can point me to some instructions on how to put the lift kit in. It seems like a project that can be done by myself, I'd just like to avoid any problems, both during the install and then when traveling down the road. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Welcome to the forum....you'll find a lot of help here and the search tool should become your new friend

You'll want to consider becoming a sponsor ($12/yr) before your trial expires and the forum sections becoming limited.

There's a lot of previous threads about installing the lift kit and making your own....this one should get you started:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10292

Several more in the tires or frame forums...
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Here's one I did:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12132
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Reldma

Default Thickness

The kit I received from the factory the the thickness of the walls are 1/4. I had no welds that needed to be removed.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
trailbiker

I have a 2006 2720 SL . My local trailer guy ground the welds off and installed the lift kit.
He charged $70 labor. It took a while to get the lift kit from TM, it comes with bolt,washers & anti vibration nuts. It was worth it not to have to do it myself, fortunately I trust the folks that did the work.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
bobhardy3

Default DIY'r here and didn't want to wait for the kit

I just picked up our new to us 07 2720SL and after pulling it home, proceeded to address a few issues. One of them, the tire clearance mod. Fortunately, someone else had done the wheel well mods with thick aluminum plates formed and bent to shield the plastic housing. They did an excellent job and used what appeared to be traffic sign material. The previous owners must have had a few blow outs as both wheel wells had a little damage to the plastic shroud behind the mod.

Being a DIY'r, I procured some 2" square tubing at 1/4 thick and the grade 8 bolts with lock nuts to secure it with. Square tubing was $15 from a local weld shop, and $8.50 for the bolts/nuts. Drilling the dang holes was a pain as 1/4" isn't fun to drill. I have a drill press, but you start small and step it up to larger sizes. The problem, most drill sets only come with the largest bit of 1/2". I went to Lowes for the 5/8" size and it was $18.

In my opinion, save yourself some hassle and order the kit. I didn't want to wait, so I made my own. If I already had the 5/8" bit, the cost would have been much less.

After removing the bolts with my pneumatic impact driver, I had to grind the welds off. I used a 4" die grinder and had to maneuver to get it up in the space available with the axle dropped and supported by my jack. Not fun with the clearance doing one wheel at a time (wheel and hub removed). I used an air chisel to break the final piece of the weld off as I didn't want to grind into the frame. After the axle dropped, I cleaned up the welds with the grinder and primed and painted the bare surfaces.

The assembly went fine. No big issues. Now the wife is questioning the weld vs. no weld issue. I may borrow my bud's tig wleder and throw a tack in for good measures.

Hope this helps with your decision making. BTW, for $70 labor, that was a steal!

Cheers,

Bob
bobhardy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Pete4750

Default Did you raise it to install 15" wheels and tires?

It's not clear to me why you were doing the lift - is it to change from the 14" to 15" wheels and needed the clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhenderson View Post
So, I'm new here, I recently bought an 06 2720SL. It has the 14" wheels and it is time to replace the tires. So, I called the factory, they're out of lift kits right now. Do you know of other sources? Can I get some 2 by 2 stock and drill holes myself, then get a certain grade of bolt? What thickness is the sidewall of the factory 2 by 2 stock? What size bolts do I need, and what grade? I saw there is a currently a tack weld holding the axle in place on the frame. Did you guys just grind off the old weld? Was it fairly easy and non-destructive to the frame? Did you put new welds in place once the lift was installed?

Maybe you can point me to some instructions on how to put the lift kit in. It seems like a project that can be done by myself, I'd just like to avoid any problems, both during the install and then when traveling down the road. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Pete,

FYI this thread is from last August thru October, but yes most TM owners do a two to three inch lift to change from 14 inch to 15 inch tires, so they can put "D" or "E" load rated tires on their rigs. Less chance of a blowout that way.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Pete4750

Thanks. I notice they talk about the lift kit being for 'older' model TM's...do you know if they're needed on a 2009, which supposedly comes with 15" optional (but not on the used one I bought)?

Also, is the 15" wheel a direct bolt-on to the existing hub that is on a 14" wheel setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Hi Pete,

FYI this thread is from last August thru October, but yes most TM owners do a two to three inch lift to change from 14 inch to 15 inch tires, so they can put "D" or "E" load rated tires on their rigs. Less chance of a blowout that way.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete4750 View Post
Thanks. I notice they talk about the lift kit being for 'older' model TM's...do you know if they're needed on a 2009, which supposedly comes with 15" optional (but not on the used one I bought)?

Also, is the 15" wheel a direct bolt-on to the existing hub that is on a 14" wheel setup?
I didn't put a lift kit on my '07 2720 when I upgraded to 15 inch "D" load tires and rims and I have no issues with rubbing or clearance. So I don't think a 2009 would need to be lifted. As far as the wheel bolt pattern is concerned, you just have to buy the matching lug pattern which I think is a 5 hole with a 4 inch spacing.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote