TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
hhoenig

Default Family vs Couples

Just curious, I get the feeling that most TM owners are couples, and not families. I could be totally off base with this, and that is why I bring it up . We are a family of four ( kids 11 & !4) in a 2619.How about all of you, how do you enjoy your TM??
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We have 2 kids, now ages 16 and 19. We bought our TM almost 4 years ago when they were 12 and 15. The kids still go with us and still like to camp, but they are starting to want to "do their own thing" now more than ever, especially my son. They still like being around water (ocean, lake or river big enough to swim in) and enjoy the evening times around the campfire, making smores and playing cards at the picnic table. We bought a badminton set to take with us and that was a big hit (great when it's not windy ). What's getting hard is trying to work our diverse school and work schedules out to get time to go camping at all; they both have flexible part time jobs this summer so that helps. During the winter we like to sightsee and visit interesting places, hike around, etc. We spend more time inside, so usually get a site with full hookups.

I sometimes wish we had a 3023 because the kids have a tendency to hog up both dinette seats, but it wouldn't make the sharp turn into our driveway, and it would be just that much harder to park in a lot of campsites than our 2720. So, we make do. During the summer here in CA it doesn't rain much and we can spend most of the time outside.

We also bring along our 18 year old cat. She has her own little space (litter box & sleeping area) under the dinette seat where the heater is located.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
MukaboutintheNW

Default Family here

We have myself, DH, my 11 year old son, our dog Maggie, and sometimes we take along one of my son's friends. We also have several trips that we go with several other families and somehow one of them always ends up sleeping in our extra bed on the dinette, especially if they are tent camping and it starts to rain....LOL

Sharon
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
MukaboutintheNW

Oops, I should say "OUR" 11 year old son, he's not just mine. DH reads this site too and if he read that I keep referring to our son as MY son, he'd probably think "hey, he's mine too!!!". Sorry Honey. LOL
Old 06-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
RollingStones

Default 2 Monkeys for Us!

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys who are almost 7 and almost 4. We purchased our 2619 in April and we couldn't be more pleased. We have been out on 4 trips and are going again this weekend, another in 3 weeks and then a 7 day trip in Aug. Oh and of course Labour Day. We don't spend heaps of time inside, but we seem to have plenty of space. The bathroom is perfect size and even our 4 yr old enjoys the bathtub. If someone joins us, we figure the easiest thing to do is have hubby and a monkey or two sleep in the tent. They're all up for that.
On another note, we did break down and get a Telly. We had to. The boys are up at 6am most of the time and well, we didn't enjoy having them wrestle on our heads that early.

Happy trails!
Kristin from Oceanside, CA .
Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

We're retired, but almost always have at least a couple of our 8 grands along. If our Suburban is returned in time for this Friday, we will have a group of 11 family members including one grand daughter who will join us in Missouri from North Carolina. The more the merrier, or crazier.
Olga, Northwoods, Florisssant, MO.
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
grakin

Don't forget about us singles either. Usually it's just me, maybe an adult friend. But that's probably why the place feels so spacious to me.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
mgoblue911

Default How we roll...

My wife and I camp with our 10 year old son and our 9 year old daughter. We have all the room we could ever want in our 3023. It is the first trailer for either of us, both of us having tented it our entire lives. What a world of difference. The preparation and packing time is exponentially reduced. We can take off at a moment's notice. We have had our TM for about 8 weeks, and have been out 6 of those weekends. Weekends that we stay home now seem to be missing something...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
rjsmalley

Default family of campers

We are a family of four: wife, two sons (22 & 19 when schedules permit the guys like to go along with us) and myself. We have camped since the boys were small, having started a Boy Scout troop for our church. Have gone from tents to pop-up (actually drop-down Viking camper) to what my wife calls her "Hilton on wheels". We also take along our 14YO dog when the sites allow dogs (NJ state camp grounds don't allow pets). We all fit nicely in the 2720SL, but try and spend as much time outside as we can.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
Two of our last three outings with the pop-up convinced us that we needed something more stable in the wind and something that we'd be more comfy in during a thunderstorm.

The last camping trip we took in our pop-up was an eye opener. The wind blew so hard the 1st nite, it bent 1 of the overhead support poles, so I had to take down that side of the canvas and lay it across the bed....thank goodness it wasn't raining. The wind wasn't as bad the 2nd nite, so the bent support post held, but the canvas was so noisy there wasn't much sleeping.