TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
pinay10

Okay, newbie here and need to know straight up. My husband thinks that we can't get a TM 2619 or 2720 because we have a regular Town & Country minivan with V6 (i.e. no towing package included when we bought the darn thing - did not know 6 years ago that I will delving into RV land). Anyway, please advise to:

1. Could we get the above TM after we get the hitch installed on the minivan. He thinks that our van will always die on us because somebody who had a pop-up told him that they were always at Jiffy-lube etc fixing the van up somewhere in Timbuktu each time they travel up some mountains. I did not have the heart to tell him that maybe it's the other person's van.

2. What kind of hitch should we install on the minivan

3. Should we spend the extra money to request a towing package (p.s. one member was right, dealers don't want to bother with your existing van for installation - they would prefer to sell you a new van!)

Any suggestion will be much appreciated - I really don't want to buy another vehicle to tow the TM - it's not in our budget. Help!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
RollingStones

Default ramblings from rolling stones

Hi Pinay, I posted the original "OMG What to do?? " post. We knew we wanted a TM 2619, but didn't have anything on our TV. I called around and found a locally owned garage who installed the tow pkg and the prodigy brake for less than $500, I think it was about $430ish. You have to buy the ball separate, it is about $35. We shopped around for a used TM, as we knew we couldn't afford a brand new one. On this forum, we found exactly what we wanted for our price and drove from San Diego to San Fran to pick it up. It is the best purchase we have ever made. Since our boys are finished w/ soccer, we now use it every other weekend. The 2619 offers plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 monkeys. The shower is FAB and my 4 yr old has a bath! I am so so so glad we did not impuslively buy something cheaper. If your vehical tows at least 3500 you're all set.
Also, for all the recommendations for a transmission cooler, when I took the car it to get one installed, they told me I already had 2! It must have come with the car.

Ok, enough rambling. I just wanted to offer words of encouragement. You won't regret it one bit.

cheers,
kristin