TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
TM Maine

Default Bugs when folded down?

I just ordered a 2619 TM and was wondering, when folded down can insects or wasps of any kind get in the unit by going between the two lift units or is it sealed in the traveling position also....TM Maine
Old 06-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
TM Maine

Thanks Texas Camper... I was just curious about if there was an opening between the two sections when closed,, as the velcro is in the closed position...
Old 06-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
wwjam

That just made my day Leon!!

Jo Ann
Old 06-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM Maine
I just ordered a 2619 TM and was wondering, when folded down can insects or wasps of any kind get in the unit by going between the two lift units or is it sealed in the traveling position also....TM Maine
Well, yeah, but ...

Just as Leon said, insects CAN get anywhere they have a mind to. But there are no "openings" or gaps between the shells per se, so you won't expect to open the TM after a few months' storage, and need a snow shovel to get rid of the insects. Remember, Leon is from Texas, where everything is bigger (including the bug problems, I guess)! Judging by your sign-in name, you are from Maine (I am just down the road in Wells), and I have never had a problem with bugs of any kind getting into the trailer. My TM is stored outside during the summer, and no wasps, no ants, no mud-daubers, no nuthin'.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
TM Maine

Help a lot thanks Bill..Yes I am in Raymond Maine not to far, just the answer iI was looking for.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

No insect problems here in the PNW but we did have a couple of mice take up residence when we stored our 2619 for a few months on the grassy storage area near woods at an RV park. Luckily they built their nests in easy to reach and clean places on the floor. We trapped them out and vacuumed, cleaned and sanitized the areas. We didn't consider the fact that they could be Hantavirus carrying Deer Mice but since we didn't come down with anything I guess they weren't. We would use moth balls or whatever to keep them out if we were to store it outside again.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
pbuck1

No insects in our ours either, but like fcatwo, a family of mice took up residence over the winter, despite moth balls at the tires and front jack and pretty much a full box worth of dryer sheets distributed everywhere inside. Cleaned the mice out once and then got more. What then seemed to keep them away for good was wads of cotton soaked in peppermint oil placed everywhere inside. The peppermint oil made my eyes water whenever I went inside, so I guess that's what they don't like. With the wads now removed, the TM smells great.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Bugs

We discovered and ant problem soon after purchasing our TM. Coincidentally we were at my inlaws' house and the bug exterminator just happened to make his normally scheduled visit. Anyway, he sprayed the inside and undercarriage of the trailer, and we have never seen another bug. If we have another bug situation, I'm thinking about using a few insect "foggers".
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
Catawbalea

MICE-we have a TM because mice totalled our popup. The insurance company gave us full totalled price and said keep the trailer, so we sold it.
So, deer mice like woods, we moved the TM to a field. Field mice don't move in as much. My question is what areas or pipes, etc. would you suggest we try to plug. We have the softener sheets, will try peppermint, but what should we try to block and with what?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

This past winter I kept a box of mouse bait in the TM, but have never had any get in (and they are everywhere around our house).

In our old Aloha, they got in and made a bit of a mess so we got underneath and used expanding foam spray to seal up any cracks they could enter; I've heard that any hole nickel sized or bigger needs to be sealed.