TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
MidwestDave

Smile Transmission coolers

I was wondering if any TM owners use a Dodge Grandcaravan 3.8 l for a TV.
My question is if the tow package that came with vehicle includes a transmission cooler? The information says transaxle cooler. Are they one an the same. GW and I are excited, we drove 4 hours to see our first TM and was really impressed. This site is also AWsum! We have put a deposit on a new 2006, 2720 with many bells and whisles! Can't wait!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:32 AM   #2
BobRederick

Midwest Dave
Great! I hope your pleasures continue to grow with the new TM.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Caravan is iffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestDave
I was wondering if any TM owners use a Dodge Grandcaravan 3.8 l for a TV.
My question is if the tow package that came with vehicle includes a transmission cooler? The information says transaxle cooler. Are they one an the same. GW and I are excited, we drove 4 hours to see our first TM and was really impressed. This site is also AWsum! We have put a deposit on a new 2006, 2720 with many bells and whisles! Can't wait!
Do a search on "grand caravan" (include the quotes)...you'll find lots to read. Your vehicle's "transaxle cooler" may not be enough...a secondary cooler may be needed.

You have a very marginal-for-towing 3800 lb "tow capacity"...that means you better plan to load both van and trailer very, very lightly. Especially if you're getting a trailer with lots of "bells and whistles"...those options will substantially add (like 500 or more lbs) to the "dry weight" or "empty weight" listed on TM's website.

As long as you only tow on the flat, low altitude roads of the midwest you'll probably do OK. But any mountain towing...either in the Appalachians or "out west" in the Rockies or Sierra will make your Dodge work very, very hard and will dramatically shorten its lifespan.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
MidwestDave

Smile MidwestDave

Thanks for your help Bob and Ray, I appreciate it as we are also Newbies.
There is certainly a lot to learn!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
MidwestDave

Cool Cooler confirmed

I had the opportunity to talk with a friend who is a sales person for Dodge motors co. He confirmed that the transaxle cooler is the transmission cooler.
The package includes heavy duty altenator, radiator,etc as well as the transaxle cooler. It also came with the wiring harness for the trailer hook-up.
He did mention The weight capacity max for that model is 3800lbs. I think we will be alright.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:25 AM   #6
Magdefrau

I have a TM pulled by a Grand Caravan. I did not have the dealership tow package. I bolted on a trailer hitch and wire harness. We live in Ozark Mountains. We traveled to the Smokey Mountains. Seemed to do just fine. I average 16.5 MPG. Load on van seemed fine. Sure it needs Load distributing hitch and air lift. Hot weather I need to bolt on trans cooling add on. I load enough such. Stop at Wal-Mart for resupply every three days. Wash clothes Sundays and Wednesdays. I was concerned at first,now I am sure its a good match. This is justification of cost of TM, I didn't need a gas hog to pull our camper. Life span of Van is seven years, Life span of TM is maybe 15 years. Just the way it is.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
MidwestDave

Cool Cooler Reply

Thanks for your words of experience. What model TM do you haul?
We haven't got ours yet, this spring we are getting a new 2006 model 2720.
About the air shocks or pillows, why do you have them when you have a WDH? I thought I had read in one of the posts that it was not necessary for both? Your right about the TV vs. TM life, I think we will be ready for a newer TV in a few years. I appreciate your coments Magdefrau .