TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
brookside

Default Anyone Done Extended (year or two) in a TM?

We have admired the Trailmanor for many years yet not had one. We have had 3 soft-sided pop-ups, 2 motorhomes, a 24 foot Lt TT and now a fifth-wheel. We find size very limiting and the fifth-wheel is just cumbersome and dull with lots of wasted space that hauling around with the cost of gas and tow vehicles does take away from the whole experience. We like "camping" not hibernating inside and RV. We would be doing an extended stay for a year or two anyway. Has anyone done this? We aren't real "thing" oriented and we gave away the microwave a few months ago because it didn't earn its space, big space too. All units have their good & bad points. We would tow with a large van which we carry a cooler and porta-potty so that would overcome not having access to the trailer while on the road. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Cathy
Old 04-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! Sounds like fun. And with the extra space in the van, you two (I assume 2) might well have a ball.

Our longest stay in our TM was 6 weeks, and it was getting a little cramped by then. But we were set up for "travelling", not "living", and things are a little different. We also had a dog and cat, and they were getting underfoot. And we didn't have any extra space in the tow vehicle. And I admit it, we are kind of "thing" oriented. With these things changed, it might very well work.

Weather will probably be important. On a couple other trips, we found ourselves in snow country - in one case snowed in for three days. This was less fun. Things got claustrophobic pretty fast, there were plumbing annoyances, condensation and ice loading got to be a problem, and we were burning propane pretty fast to keep warm. My suggestion (for me anyway) would be to avoid this situation.

Where are you going? If you set out with a year in mind, are you then committed to staying a year? Or can you bail out after (say) 8 months if the charm wears off?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
brookside

Default Three of Us probably in FL or AZ

My husband and I have a son who is 18 years old and has Down syndrome (mentally-disabled) and we have a 13 and 1/2 year old dog for however long. We have been in a TT and FW in freezing, snowing, hurricane, monsoons, etc. so are familiar with how "special" the weather can make a trip. We spent 5 and 1/2 months in our Coleman folding trailer in the Tucson, AZ area in the summer a few years ago while house hunting there. We like the tent trailers but security is just too big of issue these days. We still tent camp from time to time but eventually probably won't be able to get up from the ground once we get down there. We don't start any plan without an exit plan. We are wanting to buy a new trailer but with the Trailmanor running high I'm not sure we would do that. We are in the early stages of planning but plan to take up something new by the end of summer. We have been a lot of places but there are still so many places left to see. I have been to AK but my husband hasn't and the River Walk in San Antonio, my home state of Michigan and on and on. We were very happy to find this forum and are slowly working our way through most of the previous posts. Thanks for your response, Cathy
Old 04-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We don't full-time but we do spend 3-5 months every year in our RV (first a 27' Alpenlite 5th wheel and now our TM2619) and my answer to your question would depend on the % of time you'll spend on the road versus the time you'll be set-up in one place. The advantages of a TM while actually being used are greatest for maneuvering in tight places, frequent movement and highway travel. They diminish rapidly with extended stays. The fact that we can fold it up and put it in our garage when we return home is also a significant consideration.

While the TM remains our first choice for our current lifestyle it would be near the bottom as our only home (just above a stolen grocery cart :-)). The small fridge, lack of storage and "different" bathroom configuration are not things I would want to live with permantly. there is a place for big 5th-wheels and IMO full timing is one of them. That's just my $0.02 so YMMV.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
Texasgranny

Default Living full time in a TrailManor

We own a 2619 TM and have spent up to 61/2 weeks in it for one extended trip. However, we know a couple who have lived in a 3124KS for about 2 years. The last time I talked to them (about 6 months ago) they were still happy with their choice. The winter in the Texas Rio Grande Valley at Edinburg, then they travel during the summer to cooler places. They have done some "work camping" during the summer, but were not completely satisfied with that experience.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Texasgranny

That's good to know. We spend Jan & Feb each year in an RV park in Alamo which is only a few miles from Edinburg and I don't recall seeing another TM in the area. Our TM is like a magnet there and we get frequent people stopping by who are dreading pulling or driving their "behemoths" back north and are thinking about downsizing. Most think they are looking at something that will cost less than $10K new however so I don't think we've sold any.

I can see how normal folks who just need street clothes might get by in a TM full-time but we bike, hike and jog and the clothing and equipment we take along for the variety of weather and conditions we see on our trips is a major consideration for us. I might mention that we also do self-contained bicycle touring on our tandem (maybe San Diego to St Augustine this fall) so we "DO" know how to travel light.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote