TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #1

Default Issues with older models?

I'm in market to buy a pre-owned TrailManor. On most of the classified RV websites, there are many models from '99 to '02, but extremely few older models from '94 to '98 -- does anybody have any opinion as to why that is?

For example, one dealer told me that '94 models had wood versus aluminum "inside-framing" and that they were more likely to rot (any truth to that statement)?

Thanks for your insights.

Robert in SoCal
Old 02-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Issues with older models?

Dear Robert,

I bought a new 1994 3326 King Trailmanor in Sept., 1993, and we had it until Oct 2001 when we purchased our new 2002 3326 King. I never had any problems with any rotting as you had mentioned. Maybe, we did not have it long enough for this to happen!! ???

Also, back in the early years 1983 to 1993, Trailmanor was not manufacturing as many trailers as they have been in the last 10 years. They did not have many dealers signed up. From what I was told, the west coast was non existent for dealers. It's been only since they opened up the new plant that they have signed up dealers on the west coast. Other than that, I do not know much more about the so called rotting problems.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:18 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We need HappyTrails to kick in here, and I'm sure he will do so as soon as he spots your query.  In the meantime, though, check out his website

http://members.aol.com/br768

for his experience with refurbing an older TM, including dealing with rotted wood framing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:25 AM   #4

I bought a 1994 3124ks this summer and so far, we haven't had any major problems. We bought it from a TM dealer in Mass who obviously knew what they were doing. The previous owners were an older couple who apparently traveled quite extensively with it. Other than some cigarette smoke odor which came out with a thorough cleaning, the unit was in excellent shape. The price was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I definetly think we got our money's worth! Other than an electrical problem with the taillight that I haven't had a chance to figure out, we are very happy. Bottom line, don't be afraid to purchasing an older unit if it is in good shape and you are buying from a reputable dealer. I don't know if mine is constructed of wood or not. Guess that would be something good to know. I know of no dry rot, course I haven't looked either. Hope this was helpful.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Happytrails

Yes, it's true there weren't as many made back then as they were a new company just starting out in 1983. Mine is a 1986, and is obvious from my website, was constructed of wood. The only wood that went bad however was in the front clam shell only as it was stored in the closed position and neglected for years. If you are curious to find out if yours is wood or not it's simple to check. Simply look into the pockets where the travel arms go up into the shells. if you look at the bottom edge inside the pockets, you will either see wood, or a hollow, square, aluminum tube, (even in the 2003 models you can see the aluminum). If it is aluminum, I'd not worry one bit about the construction, if it's wood, unscrew a screw here and there and look at the condition of the screws. If they are rusty and missing threads, you're looking at a project like mine. If they seem fine, I'd not worry too much about it. Also, with the unit in the closed position, take a flashlight and look up in those pockets if it is wood and make sure all the rubber bumpers are in there securely. Another test would be to open the front clam shell *only* then open the rear shell after waiting a few mins, (if you do have wood in there). The reason I say this is though they stopped using wood in the bottoms of the clam shells, they did not stop using wood in the top. If that is rotted, the dealer may try to cover up this fact by opening both the front and rear shells at the same time, thereby letting the front be supported by the rear clam shell. Again, this can be checked by pulling a screw or two out of the top underneath the screw cover. Again, pictures of what the bad screws will look like are on my website. Bear in mind though, I only paid $400.00 for mine, and if worse came to worse, I could sell the appliences, (not to mention windows), out of it for much more than I've got in it. (Nope, they don't make those type of windows anymore, and they are in demand). But that was only if my project failed, and I came out real good I'd say.  

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]