TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default The Shower Leak Saga Continues

The shower in our 2000 2619 leaks profusely at the connection between the fixture itself and the shower hose. Replacing the hose has not provided a solution. I have read all TM posts re: this issue and still have a few questions.

The shower fixture in our TM has a little plastic "barrel shaped" "thingy" sticking out of its top/center; onto which the shower hose screws. The top of this "barrel shaped thingy" holds a plastic disc that has a small circular and off center hole in it. This disc pops right out of our "barrel shaped thingy" and I am wondering if this is the source of our leak. Should I attempt to cement this disc back in place, and if so, what kind of glue will work on this plastic?

OK, assuming that our leak comes from some as yet undetected crack in our shower fixture and that the entire unit must be replaced, please repeat the instructions on getting the dern thing out. We have no outside shower nor any under-bed storage space, so I assume that I must remove the entire panel into which the shower fixture is mounted. In anticipation of such, I have removed the two very long screws located at each end of the panel and I have loosened the caulk seal around the panel. However, the panel still seem to be held fast to the trailer wall. Are There more screws? Do I just need to remove more caulk sealant? Should I use a crowbar? Is there a secret? Should I have bought the "Aero-Lite Cub"?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

WGW
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wait a minute. The disc you refer to is hard plastric, right? There should also be a black soft rubber disc or washer in this sandwich, too. I've never seen a fixture like this without one. Without a soft rubber washer, the thing will leak like crazy.

If the soft rubber washer is indeed missing, I think you can buy a packet of assorted faucet washers for a buck, and choose the one you need. Even better - unscrew the hose, bring it to the hardware store, and choose a washer that will fit inside the "cone shaped thingy". And no glue!

I just checked my TM - I happen to have it out today in prep for some tire work. My "cone shaped thingy" is screwed on finger tight, and does not leak. It contains a black rubber washer - but no hard plastic washer. Slightly different assembly, I guess. I can forward a pic if that would help. But I am quite sure it won't work with hard-surface against hard-surface.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I agree with Bill. Put a rubber washer or o-ring in there.

The disk you are describing sounds like a flow snubber. That is the secret behind all "water saver" fixtures.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Shower Leak

My shower hose connection does have the requisite black rubber (or whatever) washer. The "disk" I referred to comprises the top of the "barrel shaped thingy" that the hose connection screws onto.

I guess that I'm just going to have to replace the entire faucet fixture. How do I get to it? If I remove the two panel screws and loosen the caulk seal, may I then just force the panel away from the trailer wall?

Thanks.

WGW
Old 08-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Freedom

I am in the process of changing out the tub in our 2000 2619. The new tub is different so the parts in the pictures are trash. On removing the faucet mount, you have to remove the trim piece to get to the rest of the screws. It's stapled on and breaks easily - so be careful if you want to reuse it. The picture shows where the (5) screws go across the bottom of the faucet mount. The second picture shows the faucet, washer and hose. I don't have any "hard plastic disc". Are you sure it's not the end off the hose?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Shower Leak Update

As the Gilda Radnor character on SNL, the little old lady one, would say, "Nevermind!"

I have just learned that an improperly seated washer will cause the shower connection to leak.

One more question though; when one has the shower faucet on but has the valve or "switch" on the shower head itself turned OFF, is it normal for a small dribble accompanied by intermittant pump operation to occur. If so, my shower works great.

WGW
Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
coulter

Well on ours the shower head will dribble if the water is not turned off at the faucets... which will fill the gray water tank really fast if hooked to city water personal experience has taught us that. The pump will cycle on every once and a while if you're using your onboard fresh water supply. So if ours is normal then so is yours
Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

WGW - check out this thread:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6254

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote