TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Lift Kit and 14 inch wheels for a 2518

Has anyone added the lift kit and 14 inch wheels/tires to a 2518?
I worry that the wheel well is smaller than a 2619.
Anyone?
When I search for 2518, most of the posts are mine...sigh
Cheri
Old 03-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

Well, since this question is producing little more than crickets... I will post back after we finish installing the lift kit and 14 inch tires. There's gotta be someone, somewhere who owns a 2518 (other than me) and wants to get away from those tiny 13 inch tires that have a top speed of 55 mph and are hard to find and easy to blow.
Willing to go where (apparently) no 2518er has gone before,
Cheri
Old 03-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri -

I have the TM in the driveway today, in prep for several days in the Chiricahuas.

I measured the wheel well opening - I think you are looking for that information. Remember that I have the factory installed round wheel wells with the heavy plastic liner, and 14" wheels.

At the bottom of the wheel well, the fore-and-aft dimension inside the well is 28 inches.

At the bottom of the wheel well, the side-to-side dimension inside the well is 11 inches.

At the fore-and-aft center of the wheel well, the top-to-bottom dimension inside the well is 9 inches.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
2bcs1jrt

Do you tow a 2518? If so, then yes, it does help. I'm thinking that you don't have a 2518 though. I may be the only one
The project starts this weekend so I'll post back here when it's done
Thanks
Cheri
Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Cheri -

No, I have a 2720SL. I was addressing your question: "Has anyone added the lift kit and 14 inch wheels/tires to a 2518? I worry that the wheel well is smaller than a 2619."

Bill
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

I appreciate your response. Really! But I think 2518's might have smaller wheel wells than the rest..and now I know for sure cuz I just measured and it's 26 inches so I hope the lift kit will allow us enough additional clearance for the larger tires. I have to buy them and bring them home to find out since the TM is immobile right now so I was hoping to hear that someone with a 2518 had done this successfully. Guess I'll find out soon enough one way or another.
Sorry if I sounded ungreatful. I am always happy to hear what folks have to say here. Im just anxious to see how this movie ends.
Cheri
Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
2bcs1jrt

We have finished installing the lift kit on our 2518 and replaced our 13 inch tires with 14 inch and they seem to be working just fine. The lift allows for the additional inch in diameter of the larger wheels. So maybe this blow out had a silver lining in that it forced us to do the wheel well mod. and we (hopefully) have safer tires now that have a higher speed and load rating.
The combination of the 2.5 inches of lift and the larger tires gave us a 3 inch rise so we purchased a taller hitch bar (one with an 8 inch rise) and it works great!. Just FYI, the Draw-Tite hitch bar works perfectly with the Reese WDH even if it is an older one from before the Reese/Draw-tite merger. They don't look the same but they are interchangable. The Reese folks told me that on the phone but the trailer place that sold it to me did not believe it until they mounted it.
Cheri
Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Cheri -

Just for the sake of interest, what is your tow vehicle?

When you replaced the tires with the larger size, did you also have to replace the steel wheels? Assuming yes, did you have any trouble finding new wheels that matched the old bolt circle?

And finally, when you replaced the tires, did the increased width of the new ones cause you any trouble?

Bill
Old 04-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
2bcs1jrt

Our TV is a 1999 Astro.
Yes, we had to replace the wheels as well as the tires. We had left everything at Big O and when we decided to size up, I called him and he had the wheels there, no problem.
I was concerned about the fatness of the tire but, as it turns out, there's at least 1 inch between the sidewall and the skirt. The difference in diameter was 3/4 of an inch total. That would not have worked without the lift kit.
My recently purchased tire covers are useless now and my spare tire cover, which was a fancy hard one (cute but a pain to take on and off) is also useless.
I think Im ready for the plywood solution to tire covers at this point. Will order a vinyl one for the spare.
Cheri