TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
Cateye
Cateye

Default Shower Head

This is my incarnation of the much talked about shower head holder. We tried it this last week (9 days) and it worked great. Finally we have a place to put the shower head (other than between legs or on the floor of the tub) while soaping up. it also is the right height when washing hair etc. with both hands. We plan to add a soap holder underneath the head. the clips that connect the holder to the shower curtain rings were taken from some old fly fishing zingers but any key ring holder etc. would work. Note that we also put velcro tabs (about 2 inches long) every 6 inches on the 2 openings of the shower curtain. Not only does this keep the water from the shower head in the shower but they fasten neatly around the shower hose where it exits the faucet fixture.
2003 2720SL
1999 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L V8
Quadradrive
Factory Towing Pkg.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
BrigCA61

Arrow Shower Head Modification - Velcro

I tried a simpler method adapted from Trailmanor's use of velcro on the flaps.

Purchased a shower head holder from CampingWorld and rather then use the included screws, I purchased some heavy duty white velcro also at CampingWorld and affixed it to both the shower head holder and the wall of the Trailmanor. It seems to hold up nicely without falling off but I have not actually used it while showering yet. I will butt both ends of the shower curtain together around the shower head holder and fasten together with small clothspin type clips only mine are metal with a plastic coating. When folding down the bathroom for travel, you simply remove the shower head holder from the wall. See att'd photos.

Has anyone tried this yet?

09/31/05 I am happy to report that after using the shower over the course of 5 trips, it is holding up well and we are pleased with the functionality of this method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShowerheadModification1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	457   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShowerheadModification2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	458  
Old 04-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Nice work! By the way, you are better with close-up photos than most of us are. May I ask what camera you use?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
BrigCA61

Default Digital Camera

I have a 5-year old Canon PowerShot A50 digital camera. It works great and has a nice macro feature for close ups. It uses a compact flash card. I use it alot while hiking - it is great for those quick snap shots and packs nicely as it is very small. I use it also for things I sell on eBay and now always take it with us in the Trailmanor. I plan to log each of our trips with a dozen or so photos for personal memories and may even set up a website soon to share with others. If I do, I'll add my website to this site. Any minor editing such as croping, reducing image size, etc. is done with Adobe PhotoShop Elements.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I like both of your ideas. Here's what I did - it has the advantage of being right in the middle of the shower and at the highest point of the ceiling. Used fishing line doubled up and strung it on top of the shower curtain rail (had to slightly unscrew it to get the line around). The line is very flexible and it's easy to take in and out. Plus, you can use the lines to hang towels and washcloths up to dry.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
Bill & Lisa

I made one much like Hal's but with a larger soap dispenser and a delta shower mount. We will try it out this comming weekend.
Thanks,
Lisa
Old 09-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Our shower hose is long enough to do this, no modifications made by us as to the length of the hose. I like having the shower head in the middle of the ceiling, plus it's about as high up as it can be (DH is 6'3").

I measured the distance from the top of the tub to the CEILING...it's 62" approx. The side near the center is about an inch higher than the side near the outside. Then there is a 2" drop to the seat at the back of the tub. Our curtains extend about 6" or more below the rim. The shower area is small enough that we wanted some extra length hanging inside the tub to make up for the elbow or whatever that might occasionally push the shower curtain outside of the rim and allow water to spray outside the tub. Keep in mind that the shower curtain ring attached to the ceiling is about 1/2", and also there are hooks that extend down another 1/2" or so, plus we had to connect ours with these round paper clip things (the grommets were too thick to fit into those small hooks) so that added another 1/2" or so.

The outside of the tub measures 23 1/2 by 31 1/2 approx. The inside measurement varies due to the shape of the tub; it is approx. 20 x 29 1/2. Two shower curtains will do the job and will overlap a bit.

I finally bought two heavy-duty white fabric curtains at WallyWorld. They came with a narrow, but somewhat weighty rubber strip that was sewn into the hem. I cut off the curtains, resewed the hem to its original width and then re-inserted the rubber strip by attaching a safety pin and then pushing the safety pin (attached to the rubber strip) through the hem. I didn't sew the curtains together, but just overlap them by one hook. After two camping trips totalling about 2 1/2 weeks using the shower daily, it was time to take them down and wash them in the washing machine.

I'd just buy the curtains, and then put them up, and then see how long you want them to be. Keep in mind that some of the grommets are too fat to fit into the hooks and you want to be able to remove the curtain easily if you want to wash it.

These are like the paper clips I used: http://store1.yimg.com/I/quincy_1864_23033556
but I didn't wash the curtain with them attached. I just put them on after the last trip.

Have fun with your new TM!

Dee
Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigCA61 View Post

Purchased a shower head holder from CampingWorld and rather then use the included screws, I purchased some heavy duty white velcro also at CampingWorld and affixed it to both the shower head holder and the wall of the Trailmanor. It seems to hold up nicely without falling off but I have not actually used it while showering yet. I will butt both ends of the shower curtain together around the shower head holder and fasten together with small clothspin type clips only mine are metal with a plastic coating. When folding down the bathroom for travel, you simply remove the shower head holder from the wall. See att'd photos.

09/31/05 I am happy to report that after using the shower over the course of 5 trips, it is holding up well and we are pleased with the functionality of this method.

I really LIKE this!!!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigCA61 View Post

I looked for this at our local CW in St. Augustine Florida...and could not find it...did you order it on line?
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:56 AM   #10
BrigCA61

Hi, we bought it at CampingWorld in Roseville, CA, not online. I did check online though and didn't see it there. I did read one of your posts from yesterday and saw that you mentioned you used the shower overhead... does that mean you found the showerhead holder? If not, you might want to try Home Depot or some other hardware store. They may even sell them at Walmart.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new TM also. I know you're going to enjoy spending time in it. :-)

Brigitte