TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
FlyboyTR

Default Trailmanor Fridge Fire…Rats To Blame…

I made it home yesterday with our new to us 2010 TM, 3023. We’re doing deep cleaning to remove all the signs of rat poo and just generally cleaning and sanitizing. After five hours we took a break after finally getting the fridge to start on LP. This is where the fun started.

The attached YouTube video will tell the story.

In the end…I can honestly say I have NEVER seen this much rat poop in one place. All total it could have easily filled a ½ gallon container. …craziest thing I have ever seen!

So, one more thing to repair or replace…still pondering on this one. Finding replacement gas lines is not going well. This morning I removed the gas lines. They appear to be 1/4" aluminum with standard flared fittings. I'm going to try and replace them with 1/4" copper. That should work.

I'll update as things come together.

Link to YouTube Video:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Travis -

That corroded broken tube at 4:03 is a coolant tube, isn't it? If so, I would think that all the working fluid (coolant) has escaped from the system. Is that your impression? If so, you probably need to replace the entire cooling system.

Complete cooling systems are available, both rebuilt and new. I think they go for considerably less cash than a new refrigerator.

On the other hand, if the unit's plastic interior has melted, and the controls and wires are damaged, you may be faced with installing an all-new unit. At least that is a lot less work.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Wow...thanks for sharing!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:11 PM   #4
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Travis -

That corroded broken tube at 4:03 is a coolant tube, isn't it? If so, I would think that all the working fluid (coolant) has escaped from the system. Is that your impression? If so, you probably need to replace the entire cooling system.

Complete cooling systems are available, both rebuilt and new. I think they go for considerably less cash than a new refrigerator.

On the other hand, if the unit's plastic interior has melted, and the controls and wires are damaged, you may be faced with installing an all-new unit. At least that is a lot less work.

Bill
Bill,
Thanks for the input and support. The broken tube is a gas line (LP) that goes from the upper control valve down to the burner. So, no coolant leaks. All of that is intact.

There is zero damage to the interior or the actual cooling system. It appears the thick layer of rat poop and the giant insulation rat nest keep most of the heat away from the cabinet. All of the cabinet insulation had been removed and was shared between nests on each side and the top of the unit.

Today I removed the damaged gas line and spliced in a new piece and joined the existing line on the back of the fridge (beyond all the damage). I have video I will post on that when I have the opportunity. The gas line that goes from the main valve at the rear bottom and up to the upper control valve assembly was very dirty (imagine that...) but was not corroded. So I did not do anything to it.

I did have a several wires that got hot enough to melt some of the insulation. I have repaired all of that and everything is back together. Afterwards we took it outside, put it on its side and basically washed everything with soap and water. Once dry, I will spray all metal components with an acid neutralizer (like you use on a wet cell battery). That will be good for all the metal parts. I do have to retape parts of the cabinet that seals the cooling unit to the box. The OEM tape basically just rotted away.

So...I think I have this thing whipped. However, I remain in shock at what we found. Praying that all is well once reinstalled! Now got to get busy on reinsulating the cabinet. Thanks again for the input!
Old 08-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Flyboy TR

You may want to inspect the area around the furnace also. That's a common rodent nesting place.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Flyboy TR

You may want to inspect the area around the furnace also. That's a common rodent nesting place.
Thanks for the input. Great minds... Last night Kathy and I were talking about that. I had ran the furnace just long enough to be able to feel the heat and shut it down. Yes, I will be removing the furnace and cleaning it out. Hopefully it will just be wasted energy on my part....but better safe than sorry! Thanks again!

Tags
rat infestation, refrigerator fire