TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
coralcruze

Default Constant roof leak

I own a 2005 2720 TM and the roof constantly leaks. The 2005 models have a seam that runs down the middle of the cap in front and rear. The rear has never leaked but the front leaks constantly. I believe that's because TM located the AC and the Fan-tastic skylight directly intersecting the seam. I am not positive but believe the water comes from the runoff collected by the AC into a pan that then drains onto the roof and seam. It then travels in the seam and drips where the vent fan is located.

I would like to fix this once and for all. Any ideas how? Do I need to pull the AC off the roof or can I drain somehow from the AC wheep holed at the ac pan to the sides and then out?

Everywhere where the seam was is now covered by seam tape and self leveling RV roof compound. The Roof has also been painted. It just this one darn area that I have to revisit time and time again over the years. Wondering if anyone has any ideas?
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:41 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

With any luck, you don't have to remove the airco from the roof.

If you take the cap/shroud off the air conditioner (3 big Phillips screws facing the sky, as I recall), you will be able to see the condensate drain pan. The pan has an outlet pipe, and the pipe is probably clogged with leaves and junk. As I recall, the pipe drains directly onto the roof, away from any opening or seam, and the water is supposed to drain off the roof and down the side of the trailer. Once you have found the drain pan and its drain hole, you may want to attach a piece of clear vinyl hose to the end of the pipe, and direct the water a bit further to the side and down the roof slope.

In the air conditioner manual, find the picture of the parts arrangement and placement under the shroud.

When you get up on the roof to remove the shroud, be sure you put down a thin piece of plywood or the like, a couple feet square, to distribute your weight. Otherwise you could bend the roof a bit, resulting in dishing which might catch water and direct it where you don't want it - like inside.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
coralcruze

Hey Bill. Thanks so much. Would 1/4" ID work for diverting the water from the pan? Or would it be a different ID? I def. Need to do this as I may have inadvertently created a dam at the skylight with roof compound so redirecting water would be nice.

Follow up question... is there a way to get at the roof seam that is hidden under the AC pan without lifting the entire ac out of the way? If I recall that spacing is tight.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like most RV manufacturers, TM used a number of different air conditioners over the years, and even within a given year. You need to figure out which one you have - your blue book will identify it, or you can find a tag on the unit - and then get the appropriate manual. If you don't have the manual, they are all available on line at the unit manufacturer's website.

Maybe start here fpr an earlier discussion of one of the units.
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ight=drain+pan

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Like most RV manufacturers, TM used a number of different air conditioners over the years, and even within a given year. You need to figure out which one you have - your blue book will identify it, or you can find a tag on the unit - and then get the appropriate manual. If you don't have the manual, they are all available on line at the unit manufacturer's website.

Maybe start here fpr an earlier discussion of one of the units.
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ight=drain+pan

Bill
I tried to find paperwork on that AC and couldn't. What I do know is that it's a Colman for sure just not sure what model number it is. I have to get that but my TM is in a remote location.