TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Ramlover

Default Bike hitch on back bumper

So I have been reading thread after thread on here on bike rack on back of TM bumper and have gotten most of my questions answered but just can't seem to find some loose end questions I have. I would like to carry at least 2 bikes perhaps upto 4. So here goes.

1. Does anyome know how much a hitch costs from the TM factory for a 2005 2720? This would be the bolt on hitch.

2. Any other recomendation for a good aftermarket bike hitch? Links would be helpful.

3. Any recomendations for hinged bike rack?

As an alternative to this option we are considering a swing away bike hitch on the TV ball mount using a 2" hitch split which would allow TM toeing and bike mount.

1. Since I have an automatic tongue lift in front and the typical two propane tanks does anyone know if a swing away bike mount will even clear? The rack I'm looking at is the mweracks.com

2. Will a 2" split hitch with a WDH even work? Is this allowed?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I've seen those "split hitches" and would have the effect of hanging the over 450lb tongue weight of a TM on a foot long lever.

Secondly it would significantly increase the distance from the rear wheel centerline to the hitch ball also decreasing the resistance to sway.

I have one but would never use it a TV or anything heavy.

I have thought about something like this on the rear of the TM for something light like a bike rack then decided that if I did, it would be a direct mount with two point connection to avoid rocking.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
Terryl

Ramlover, you might want to look at the rig I got for my bike rack. It is in the Exterior forum under bike rack mount.
check post # 16
Old 02-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
moaboy

The newer TM with fiberglass bumpers won't hold much of anything but the electric cord and sewer tube. And that's the rub, not much to mount a bike rack to as it is hard to get to the frame.
I too would not want to add more weight over my hitch area.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I thought I read the TM hitch bike rack had a weight limit of 100 lbs or less. 4 bikes will exceed that limit, unless they are world class racing bikes. I always figure 35 lbs per bike.

Many potential issues with the split receiver.
- You need to add the bike and rack weight to your tongue weight.
- You are moving the ball back and that increases the effective weight of the tongue by moving the fulcrum point.
- You need the rack clearance above the ball hitch, so depending on how your ball mount is with a rise or drop it could be an issue.
- You are extending the rear end of the TV over the ball. In that the bikes don't move with the camper but are fixed behind the TV. This reduces how far you can turn before the camper or the jack hits the bikes. With 4 bikes I would think it will be an issue.

But, I have hear of many people have done the split hitch receiver tube and had bike rack there. So it is very doable.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"I have hear of many people have done the split hitch receiver tube and had bike rack there" - with a trailer tongue weight of 450+ lbs ? Could see with a small trailer but not a TM.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Ramlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
Ramlover, you might want to look at the rig I got for my bike rack. It is in the Exterior forum under bike rack mount.
check post # 16
That is a sweet solution for a rack... could you trll me what you spent to getthat part welded to the WDH? Also which bike rack did you buy with that setup. Again that is the best solution I've seen to avoid use of a split hitch with a WDH.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
Terryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlover View Post
That is a sweet solution for a rack... could you trll me what you spent to getthat part welded to the WDH? Also which bike rack did you buy with that setup. Again that is the best solution I've seen to avoid use of a split hitch with a WDH.
It cost me $50.00 to have that done. I haven't decided yet on a rack. I'll only be hauling 2 bikes so it doesn't have to be an expensive one.

If you haven't already done it I strongly suggest that you send your $12.00 membership in asap. You are limited to only a month on this great forum as a guest. It will be $12.00 well spent!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
ArkyDoodle

I was gonna use the rear hitch on the TM (bike rack manufacter talked me outta that), so I decided to use a "split hitch" --- until I looked closer at my bike rack. It has a wide radius curve at the bottom (the leg that actually goes into the receiver) causing it to extend beyond where the hitch ball would be and there's not enough clearance between the lower & upper mount points....Instead of additional adapters and extenders, I just installed a front hitch on my TV.....Now I can SEE what's going on with my bikes at all times, I get the additional benefits from having the front hitch capabilities and it cost me less than a hundred bucks........I'd do it again this way in a NY minute!!

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyDoodle View Post
I was gonna use the rear hitch on the TM (bike rack manufacter talked me outta that), so I decided to use a "split hitch" --- until I looked closer at my bike rack. It has a wide radius curve at the bottom (the leg that actually goes into the receiver) causing it to extend beyond where the hitch ball would be and there's not enough clearance between the lower & upper mount points....Instead of additional adapters and extenders, I just installed a front hitch on my TV.....Now I can SEE what's going on with my bikes at all times, I get the additional benefits from having the front hitch capabilities and it cost me less than a hundred bucks........I'd do it again this way in a NY minute!!
Nice.
Bugs, few rock chips, birds and highway spray may all be tolerable if there aren't any carbon fiber frame, forks, wheels or components. (Seems there is no ideal solution for ferrying bicycles-roof mounted on TV, back of TM, front of TM, in front of TV, within the truck bed with a canopy- thereby severely reducing TV storage volume).

The biggest advantage to a front receiver (particularly w/ a TM rear view mounted camera system) may be to pilot (forward with TV) the TM to restrictive storage space.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote