TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
edjones619

Default Operating water heater with gas vs. electric

Hello Trail Manor friends. We own a 2009 2720SL 25th Anniversary
edition. I am having some difficulty with the water heater. It is self-igniting, so it states not to light the pilot light, it will do so automatically. It heats exceptionally well using electricity, but I can't operate it with propane gas. I have followed the instructions in the manor. "To operate by gas, turn off all electrical power to water heater at switch under sink. Turn off gas supply (DOES THIS MEAN THE GAS SUPPLY FROM THE PROPANE TANKS TO THE CAMPER?), because I can see no other gas valve specifically to the water htr.? Wait 5 minutes, Turn on gas supply. Turn on electric power to the water heater(THE SWITCH UNDER THE SINK?) Turn switch to on position (DOES THIS REFER TO SWITCH INSIDE THE WATER HEATER PANEL?) THE ONLY STEP THAT i SKIPPED WAS TURNING THE GAS OFF TO THE WATER HEATER. So, what do you folks thin I am doing wrong?
Old 10-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjones619 View Post
Hello Trail Manor friends. We own a 2009 2720SL 25th Anniversary
edition. I am having some difficulty with the water heater. It is self-igniting, so it states not to light the pilot light, it will do so automatically. It heats exceptionally well using electricity, but I can't operate it with propane gas. I have followed the instructions in the manor. "To operate by gas, turn off all electrical power to water heater at switch under sink. Turn off gas supply (DOES THIS MEAN THE GAS SUPPLY FROM THE PROPANE TANKS TO THE CAMPER?), because I can see no other gas valve specifically to the water htr.? Wait 5 minutes, Turn on gas supply. Turn on electric power to the water heater(THE SWITCH UNDER THE SINK?) Turn switch to on position (DOES THIS REFER TO SWITCH INSIDE THE WATER HEATER PANEL?) THE ONLY STEP THAT i SKIPPED WAS TURNING THE GAS OFF TO THE WATER HEATER. So, what do you folks thin I am doing wrong?
Try lighting the stove top to ensure the gas source is at least traveling to that area of the TM. You may have a air bubble impeding the gas. Do you hear the igniter clicking? You must have a 12v source for the igniter.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

mine is a little older so not sure if close,'
to start, it is self lighting, switches under sink, will be the one all the way on left, this is to light gas side, up is on, will hear it clicking
now my ac switch is on outside side of heater ,where drain and such are, I just leave off, I have always run on lp,
I just always turn the lp on and light that stuff up,,,

hope this helps

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Correct hillbilly. Toggle switch under the sink counter to on, turns red light on, light goes off when WH lites. If light comes back on, it did not light. Turn it off, wait and then start again.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

+2 rvcycleguy. Have the elec switch outside in the water heater off.

Just to add a little...

- you do need the propane on, checking at the stove is a good test as rvcycleguy mentioned

- Also you do need 12 v. I think you actually need something less around 10V at a minimum. So you need to be on shore power or have a good charge on the battery.

- Also, if you are trying to light it after the electric heater was on? It might not light because the temp has been met.

Do you hear the starker spark, does the switch under the sink light turn red when you flip it on??
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I had the exact same confusion as Ed the first time.

Trail Manor needs to clarify that section of the manual a little bit. The "turn back on electrical power to the water heater" makes you wonder if the main 120 outside needs to be ON for gas. (It should be OFF). And "Under the sink" automatically had me looking inside the cabinet for another switch.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
moaboy

To be clear, if u have already used your electric source to heat water then try to use the gas option it will not light. In this case you have to let the water cool then use the gas. If I am going to use both I always kick on the gas first, then the electric element.
Good luck, 25 Edition is pretty sweet.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
edjones619

Default Thanks

Thanks, everyone. I think your ideas will help. Closing up the TM for winter...winterized in tucked away in then garage. Decided to try the heater in the spring, when I do my trail set up to make sure all systems are in working order. We may try to get out of Northern Michigan for some warm, snow free weather in early spring. Maybe head to Savannah.