TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Extreme Cold Weather Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
dnemecek

Default Winter Camping in a 3023 for the season

Has anyone slept in their Trailmanor 3023 during a winter? I live in Colorado Springs and am considering using my trailer for the winter. Looking for suggestions or if this is even possible. I believe we got like 13 inches of total snow last season. Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Spent 15 days in Sedona last winter. TM was warm. Furnace and oil/ electric space heater made it toasty. Also, we had an electric blanket that we placed under the sheet in the rear bed. Due to the overhang, the rear bed platform gets cold, so we slept on a warm blanket. High temp for both weeks did not reach 50 degrees and nighttime temps were as low as 20.

Also spent several days in Santa Fe on the way home where snow was on the ground the entire time. Did not use the freshwater line outside to the park water source due to freezing temps. TM are actually very well insulated units.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

There are some threads on here about it not being good for snow to build up on a TM. You can stay warm in a TM when it is very cold though. We had snow last year while we were bow hunting in Missouri but it melted fairly quickly. We have camped in weather that is in the teens and stayed warm. You do need to fill your fresh water and disconnect and drain the hose unless you have one of the heated hoses. I guess your fresh water tank is inside one of the bench seats. You may need to leave it open for heat to get to it. Ours is under the sink and we just leave the door to the cabinet open.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Make sure you have some pool noodles. Also you will find that considerable moisture penetrates the mattress and condenses on the top of the bed tray making the bottom of the mattress damp. Not a big deal, but you will need to remove the mattress when you get home to dry out.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I would be most concerned about water freezing.

outdoor hookup line
fresh tank
water heater
toilet
grey tank
all lines

4 season RVs have electric heaters for some of these.

I believe that below some temperature propane will no longer be usable, but no damage will be done.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
JamKat+Fam

Regarding keeping warm in bed... we have used an electric mattress pad before and it was GREAT. We used it on top of a foam egg topper on an air mattress while tent camping in mid 40s (at night) and it was just fine so I imagine it would be toasty in especially cold weather. {The only reason we stopped using it was DH shorted out the wires on his side somehow. MY side was fine.}
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
rumbleweed

When it gets cold enough for propane to no longer be usable, I suggest you pack up and go home as you will not be very usable either. Propane stops evaporating at -45F
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

There are photos on here and sort of a blog of a fellow camping in I think Colorado in the winter I will for you.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
moaboy

Somebody camped in Moab during the winter and detailed their trip on here. With precautions they did fine.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I have been searching but can't find the thread I am looking for. I did find this thread and it is a good one about not a lot of leaving snow on the the roof for extended amount of time:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8625

The thread I am looking for is where a guy camps I think in Co. about 2 years ago...he tows his 2619 with a Jeep Wrangler (longer version then mine) He had a sort of contest to guess the length of the icicle coming off his window awning.