TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Electric Tongue Jack – battery drain fix?

Electric Tongue Jack – battery drain fix?

We have an electric tongue jack which makes it easy to mount/dismount the TM to the TV, but I have noticed that on too many short trips and short stays, my TM battery drops dangerously in power availability when the jack is to be used.

My TM battery is enclosed at the rear end and I am wondering if I put a mod to provide an access to the battery posts while the TM is closed with a switch on/off for safety, then could I just use an "emergency car starter battery" placed in series to the TM battery to give it a quick jolt to provide restored TM trailer use and electric jack use until I can get to an electric outlet to recharge the TM battery?

Would that procedure blow the fuse in the TM? If the TM battery is LOW then will it drain the TV battery and possibly keep the TV from starting after a short trip like to the dump before leaving?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
brulaz

I usually leave the trailer electrically connected to the TV (with engine running) while leveling front to back. The electrical cable is long enough that I can pull the TV about a foot from the trailer with it still connected.

Or if the site has electricity, I plug it in. (Never a problem with the converter, but I see others might have)
Old 05-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
I usually leave the trailer electrically connected to the TV (with engine running) while leveling front to back. The electrical cable is long enough that I can pull the TV about a foot from the trailer with it still connected.

Or if the site has electricity, I plug it in. (Never a problem with the converter, but I see others might have)
Thanks, and I think that is an excellent suggestion. One of the problems that brought this particular mod to mind was when the DW spent a little (lot) extra time going up and down on the jack,

I think that for no hookup camping days, I will try the mod, or I will just have to find that crank somewhere.