TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
James Clegg

Default Hands free shower from James Clegg

I suppose most TM owners have already devised a shower head holder for their shower. If not, just fashion a wand holder and attach to a J hook and hang from rear wall of shower room. Works great and you dont have to hold shower head in one hand while you wash with the other hand.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Works well, James. Thanks for the reminder - we haven't visited this issue in quite a while, and newcomers may have missed it. I think this board's first idea for a hands-free shower was posted by long-time sponsor Hal back in 2002 when the board was brand-new. The pics were lost in the board's reorganization later that year, but Hal updated and reposted here in 2005. It is a more elaborate version of your own very good idea.

Hal, was the attached picture your original?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hands_Free_shower.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	4979  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
M&M Hokie

My TM came with a handsfree holder already installed. I wonder when they became standard equipment. Of course, it isn't as fancy as one with the product dispensers in it. I like your upgrade a lot.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
gmferg

My 2008 2619 also came with a handsfree holder. It's location is a bit ackward though. It is in the rear outside corner directly above the valves.

As part of the shower curtain mod I performed (credit to this forum) I came up with a different showerhead holder location and design. For me, the most convenient showerhead location is on the exterior wall of the TM. With this being a wall with very little clearance when TM is folded down, I had to device an attachment that could be easily removed and left little protrusion on the wall. I used a magnet and piece of sheetmetal both purchased from ACE. The sheetmetal is attached to the wall using double sided tape. The magnet is bolted to the Oxygenics showerhead holder. By making the sheetmetal strip long, the height is adjustable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower04.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	4982 Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower05.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	4983 Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower06.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	4984
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

That is a really good idea and I plan to use a version of it. I'll install the metal plate(s) with velcro and put the fuzzy velcro part on several positions on all three walls. The magnet is strong enough to hold the shower head in position on any of the three walls through the shower curtain. That eliminates the need to cut an opening in the curtain and allows positioning the shower head where convenient for either the kids or the adults.

Thanks for the input gmferg. I love this forum.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
M&M Hokie

The magnet/steel strip is a very clever solution. I don't think I will pursue it myself as the corner over the valve location works very well for me and the Mrs. I like seeing how others skin the cat though. I have only recently done the mod where you remove one of the shower curtains in favor of wall mounted plastic on the folding walls and thought it paid huge dividends. Maybe after the novelty of this improvement wears off, I will look to improving the shower head.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
gmferg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post
The magnet is strong enough to hold the shower head in position on any of the three walls through the shower curtain.
This was my thought also but in practice it didn't quite work. I used the heavier of two magnets that I purchased The Oxygenics is a fairly heavy showerhead compared to the original. With the shower curtain sandwiched between there isn't enough friction to keep the magnet in place. With the shower curtain being so smooth, the magnet would slide down or rotate around. It wouldn't fall off but it wouldn't stay put either. I have the metal strip centered where the 2 curtains meet and the showerhead comes through the split. The magnet is attached directly to the metal strip.
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Hands free shower from James Clegg

gmferg;

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the slippage problem. Our curtain material looks to be different than yours so I will try to overcome the problem with a larger magnet and some other ideas.

I'll let you know how it works out. My next opportunity to try will be in preparation for our trip to the West Coast Rally at Pismo Beach, CA in late September.

Thanks for the continued information.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote