TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
ChillEDog

Default Any Smoker Recommendations ?

Thinking of buying a smallish smoker to take camping. There are charcoal/wood, electric, and propane models. Bradley, Weber, Smoke Vault, etc etc. Just wondering if anyone uses one they like and would recommend. Thanks.
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

we have had good luck with the brinkman, charcoal model, have had a couple of them and a coleman a few yrs back both served us well
kinda make sure it has the water pan option, this is a must for moist product,
also over time have learned not to buy match lite / instant charcoal , burns to fast for a smoker, and wrap the bottom with heavy duty foil, before loading with charcoal,helps extend the life and helps with clean up.
if it sounds like i perk up, you right, i travel with a smoker with 2 racks and water pan,
there is nothing like lighting it in the morning and going out for the day and comeing back to camp and dinner is rdy

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I have a propane fired collapsible tailgate grill that I pack in the back of my truck. We use it for most of the cooking on our camping trips. We, of coarse, BBQ on it; as well as using it as a griddle with a stainless steel griddle that fits perfectly inside on top of the grates. Perfect for breakfast. I also bring a cast iron smoke box, to put wet wood chips in, which fits perfectly under one of the grates. This works real well for smoking chicken breasts, burgers or ribs.

I bought the grill, griddle and smoke box on eBay. I also purchased a 15 ft propane hose and hook it up to one of my 20 lb tanks on the TM.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
ChillEDog

Excellent. Thank you both for the helpful information.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
ChillEDog

Ordered a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" vertical smoker, charcoal. Supposed to be here Wednesday. Love paying that Weber premium. NOT.

Anyway, looking forward to using it at camp. Especially the part about setting up in the morning and coming back later in the day...

Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Just as a heads-up, depending on where you camp, alot of campgrounds will probably not allow a grill or smoker to be left unattended. These campgrounds would not want the liability expousure, in case someone or some kid was injured or caused a fire. It's a safety issue.

Other than that, enjoy your new smoker.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
ChillEDog

True, and good point. I guess I let my mind wander a little there. Somebody (translation: DW) will have to mind the smoker, while I'm out mountain biking.