TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
lov2camp

Default Roof Repair experts - advice?

I have a roof that has a "sag" kinda in the middle as pictured. Is there anyone who as fixed this without replacing the entire roof as that is really not an option and the roof is in good shape. Can you put a metal beam rod in place to give support and sandwich it to give it an even support like a roof beam?. I was thinking I could have a metal support rod out of 1x1 steel tubing and mount it into place to give support with bolts through the roof and sealed up properly. it can pretty easily be straighted out by pushing by hand and there is no delamination. Otherwise the roof is in great shape.

I also have a small (size of a quarter" small tear in the roof how has anyone else fixed this?

Any advice would be a great help. I did a search but did not find much to help me with these issues.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sag roof.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	9573  
Old 02-03-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

That looks bad. Absent any sort of "trauma" to the roof, such as a falling tree branch, I would say that the wood beams in the roof have rotted, or at best have somehow pulled apart. It appears structurally unsound, and to prevent further damage, I'm not sure I would use it until I got it fixed. If that is indeed the case, to properly repair it, you're going to need to replace those beams, either with new wood or with steel tubing -- that is a huge job, but some members here (like MariaG) have done it.

One easy way to tell if they might be rotted is to pull out a few screws attaching the trim around the end of the shell, like around where the seals are. After pulling them out, if they have brown/black rotted wood around them, then you have your answer. If there's what looks like wood you'd see at a lumber yard, then there's something else going on.

This is most definitely not typical.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
moneeleann

What year is your camper? Aren't the internal supports all aluminum now? In the picture, are we looking at the front or rear shell?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Looks to me like both shells are sagging. The view is towards the rear of the TM, since you see the bed, wardrobe, and shower walls. Don't see how that could happen, without something heavy on the roof. I would not think the AC could do that.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not sure I'm seeing the whole situation here. You say that the roof of the front shell is collapsing - but you can push it up by hand - but there is no delamination?

Seems to me that if there is no delamination, you would be lifting the air conditioner by hand, and the air conditioner is heavy. Not an easy lift. And if it is reasonably easy to lift by hand, then you are not lifting the air conditioner, which means there is delamination - the outside of the roof has pulled away from the inside of the roof. Help me out here.

Take a look at the outside of the roof. Has it sagged as well? Is the air conditioner still sitting square and well sealed against the outside of the roof?

It appears that the structure in the rear edge of the front shell has failed, and the roof (including the air conditioner) has sagged to the point where it is crushing the rear shell. But we will know more whe you answer some of the questions in this and other posts.

Was the air conditioner installed by the factory, or as an aftermarket upgrade?

Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
slamit06

Thanks for the feedback. It not wood construction. It's only at the end. AC unit is factory. Old owner said it was this way all along but did not cause any issues. I figured it wouldn't be difficult to sandwich a 1 x 1 steel tubing to address the sag and would completely solve the problem and make the roof even stronger, just not look "factory" . Haven't owned one of these so I have no idea. Appreciate the feedback. No indication of anything that hard hitting the top. No rot indication.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:07 AM   #7
[email protected]

Default Roof sag 2008 3124ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lov2camp View Post
I have a roof that has a "sag" kinda in the middle as pictured. Is there anyone who as fixed this without replacing the entire roof as that is really not an option and the roof is in good shape. Can you put a metal beam rod in place to give support and sandwich it to give it an even support like a roof beam?. I was thinking I could have a metal support rod out of 1x1 steel tubing and mount it into place to give support with bolts through the roof and sealed up properly. it can pretty easily be straighted out by pushing by hand and there is no delamination. Otherwise the roof is in great shape.

I also have a small (size of a quarter" small tear in the roof how has anyone else fixed this?

Any advice would be a great help. I did a search but did not find much to help me with these issues.

Thanks!
Did you fix your tm can you send pics or instructional advice for the fix.can email [email protected]. thank you
quinhec71@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did you fix your tm can you send pics or instructional advice for the fix.can email [email protected]. thank you
Do you realize that this post is 9-years-old?
Old 03-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not to feed the zombie but long story short if you have saggy roofs they aren’t really repairable. The only real fix is roof/upper shell replacement at the factory.

Ask me how I know.
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote