TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
mikegascon1

Default Thoughts on solar

I just purchased a, new to me, 2007 3124. I believe it is a KB maybe. It has a couch on one side and a comfy chair on the other side of the table. Is that a KB? I am pretty sure I want to add solar to the trailer. I dont have any experience in this. I have read so many articles on it and threads on the site that I am dizzy with info.

I am thinking of this kit. https://www.renogy.com/new-400-watt-...r-premium-kit/ I didn't really want to spend that much but I believe there is a lot of bang for the buck for that. I bonus of going the kit route is that it is all there. I dont need to piece something together. If someone wants to help me do that, I am all for it. Especially if I can save some money but I need a complete shopping list to do so. Admittedly, I do not have a usage estimate of what I will need in terms of power usage yet. I know I am jumping the gun.
I would typically be using, heater, water pump, toilet, shower, TV in the evenings (maybe) and charging at least 2 phones daily. Add in some lights. (I will convert to all LED ASAP. The lights are already ordered.) Oh and a fan. I do not think I can run my A/C with a solar setup unless I go overboard and spend more on solar than I did the trailer. Most of my time will be off grid with no shore power.

With that said, how does that kit work? I am a tech guy so I would like to have some type of display that shows battery level, how much the solar is putting into batteries, power consumption....

I am still undecided on batteries. It sounds like 2 6V golf cart batteries are the way to go for me. Without breaking the bank, I think that is the correct option.

If any of the solar/power/energy gurus in here could chime in on my thinking, right or wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.