TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Gerry 1950
BannedUsers

Default Elkmont versus 2720SD

I have been planning to purchase a 2720SD for my retirement. I visited the factory in Lake City, TN a few weeks ago and was introduced to the Elkmont.
I will be 61 when I retire and my wife is 53 and already retired. We will be the only ones using the trailer on a regular basis. My tow vehicle is a 2004 4Runner sport edition with a 4.0L engine and a towing capacity of 5,000Lbs., tongue weight 500lbs. (factory equipped). My suv gets about 23-24 mpg at posted highways speeds, i.e. 65 and 70 mph. Here is the dilemna. There are obvious conveniences to the elkmont(walk around bed, full size refrigerator,
slightly larger bathroom, ease of use during travel..) that seems to be more important as we get older, however, gas prices are increasing again and the future is uncertain. Is it worth losing a few mpg for convenience. I really would like to hear from an owner who has traded from a fold down trailmanor to an elkmont with their views concerning towability, gas mileage, etc. My local dealer advised me that my mileage will be cut in half and I will have to install anti-sway devices. This seems a little extreme even to a novice like me who has never owned nor towed a trailer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Gerry 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote