TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
gocntry

Default AC Compressor Not Working

Just Got Back From My 1st Weekend Trip And No Ac. Compressor Does Not Kick On, Fan works Fine, Heat Works Fine.
After A Bunch Of Internet Reading Looks Like My Problem Could Be The Starting Capacitor? Looks Like A Simple $25.00 Fix.
Anybody Ever Had Their Ac Apart Before?
To Take The Shroud Off The Top Is Just The 3 Screws On Top The Shroud? I'm Guessing There Are No Hidden Secrets To This.

Thanks In Advance

Jeff
Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
Just Got Back From My 1st Weekend Trip And No Ac. Compressor Does Not Kick On, Fan works Fine, Heat Works Fine.
After A Bunch Of Internet Reading Looks Like My Problem Could Be The Starting Capacitor? Looks Like A Simple $25.00 Fix.
Anybody Ever Had Their Ac Apart Before?
To Take The Shroud Off The Top Is Just The 3 Screws On Top The Shroud? I'm Guessing There Are No Hidden Secrets To This.

Thanks In Advance

Jeff
What year, brand and model is your AC???

This info will help others, help you.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Did the air conditioner work when you bought the TM? In other words, is this a very recent failure? When the capacitor fails, it is often accompanied by a terrible stink. The stink dissipates before too long, so perhaps it failed while the TM was owned by the previous people, and you didn't think to check it when you bought it.

At any rate, the starting capacitor (or is it the run capacitor?) is quite likely to be the problem, and I don't think that replacing it is a big deal. I'm not sure if you get at it from the inside or the outside, though. In the new low profile Coleman Mach 9000 series, it appears to be from inside. As HarveyRV says, it is important to know the make/model of your specific unit.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
gocntry

The AC Is On A 2008 2720 / Low Profile Unit. My TM Was Built In Sept 2007. I Thought Is Was Working When I Picked It Up But It Was About 60 Degrees Outside So Now I'm Thinking It Was Just Blowing The 60 Degree Air Around, and I Thought It Was Working.

I'll Get The Exact Model Tonite When I Get Off Work.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
mtnguy

I have a 2003 TM with a low profile Coleman, and I think you get to the capacitor(s) behind a port side sheet metal box located on the outside ductwork of the unit. You have to remove 3 Torque-X screws on the main cover, and also 2 Torque-X screws on the fan shroud to get to that.

Chap
Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
gocntry

The AC Is A Low Profile Unit Made By RV Products It Is A Model 9203C876
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Gocntry -

If you don't have the printed material that came with your TM (in the blue notebook), you can see the parts layout at the manufacturer's web site. For your unit (same as mine), you can view or download the document here

http://www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documents/r486_copy8.pdf

I think the capacitor is item 6 in the parts breakout on page 2 of this document.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
gocntry

Finally Got A Day Off When It Wasn't Raining, It Took About An Hour Of Tearing The Ac Apart.
Took The Outside Apart First, Checked The Start & Run Capacitor Both Were Fine. So I Went Inside And Took Apart The Control Panel, Used A Jumper To Bypass The Thermostat And The AC Works Fine.
So I'll Stop By The RV Shop Tomorrow And Get A New Thermostat (hopefully it's no more than $25-$30).
I Had An AC Oriented Friend Help/Teach Me So That Helped A Lot.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
gocntry

I Changed Out The Thermostat And The AC works Fine Now. The Rv Place Knew What I Had In My Hand When I Walked In And Had A Drawer Of Replacements.

Just To Pass On Some Other Info.....

While I Had The Ac Apart On The Inside I Also Noticed The Heat Coil Was Loose And Wobbling Around And There Was A Big Zip Tie holding Some Wires Near The Heat Coil And The End Of The Zip Tie Was In The Heat Coil And Was Browned From The Heat.

So Those Future Problems Are Fixed Also.

Thermostat Was $30.00
Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
I Changed Out The Thermostat And The AC works Fine Now. The Rv Place Knew What I Had In My Hand When I Walked In And Had A Drawer Of Replacements.

Just To Pass On Some Other Info.....

While I Had The Ac Apart On The Inside I Also Noticed The Heat Coil Was Loose And Wobbling Around And There Was A Big Zip Tie holding Some Wires Near The Heat Coil And The End Of The Zip Tie Was In The Heat Coil And Was Browned From The Heat.

So Those Future Problems Are Fixed Also.

Thermostat Was $30.00

Doesn't it make you feel great when you can do stuff like that yourself?.....great accomplishment. Thanks for sharing the other tips as well. That's what makes this board great.

Wayne