TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
FightinIrish

Default Mr. Buddy Heater

Just a quick question posed to those who have used the heater. I just purchased one and am planning on using it in the upcoming weeks. I noticed in several locations throughout the instructions they mention to make sure you vent the unit when using inside. Is simply cracking one of the ceiling vents adequate. I do feel relatively safe as we have the CO2 detector. Just wanted to hear from those of you that have experience with the heater. Don't want to "do myself, wife and labrador in" before we get started. THanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
BrigCA61

The Portable Buddy Heater has a low-oxygen shutoff system and a tip over switch that makes it safe for indoor use. We just crack one of the windows and have never had any problems and keep it running all night on low (please note, that the manufacturer does not recommend you leave it unattended when in use). I didn't want too much heat escaping through the ceiling vent so that's why I just cracked one of the windows. I have read elsewhere on the forums that there's enough vents in the TM that they didn't even have to crack any windows or vents and had no problems. In the instruction manual, it tells you how large of a vent you need for the space you are heating - I can't remember exactly but it's very small. You will love the heater.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
FightinIrish

I feel pretty safe with the CO2 detector as a backup. Didn't want to do any harm to DW or our lab.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

We crack a window about 1/2 inch. Because heat rises I've opted for a window over a ceiling vent to keep my heat from rising and going out the vent. Having said that I really don't think it makes that much of a difference vent/window, as long as you're getting some fresh air.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
mtnguy

Even on low, if the Mr. Buddy Heater is set on the counter, the ceiling gets hot above. I set mine on the stove cover, and pull off the plastic lens for the lite above. Where do other people place the heater when in use??

I crack the window right behind the heater about an inch. For those using the heater with older TMs......my 2003 did not have a CO dectector......but it does now.

chap
Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Digger

I'm no expert but , as CO2 (carbon dioxide) is much heavier than air thus, the reason the CO2 detector is located near the floor, wouldn't it be best to vent the TM close to the floor. CO ( carbon monoxide) is only slightly lighter than air but will tend to rise with the hot air from the heater so a CO detector is best located near the ceiling. Cracking a window should work fine for fresh air exchange for CO.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Freedom

I don't think that CO or CO2 are the concern in this situation - I think it's oxygen depletion. Venting anywhere will allow the oxygen to be replenished so the heater and occupants can keep on breathing.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
mtnguy

Freedom, CO is a concern of mine. CO is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned. By my understanding, the Buddy Heater has an low O2 shutoff, but will not shut off with a high CO level. Maybe they figure that the CO will stay safe with the almost complete burn of propane before the O2 shutoff would occur....I am not sure. But if the heater malfunctions, then I wonder if the O2 shutoff would occur before the CO rose to a dangerous level. I heard recently about 3 people dying from CO.....but the heater was so old that they couldn't even determine the make and model.

Digger: As well as my previous post concerning the lack of a CO detector in my 2003 TM, it does not have a CO2 detector either, as near as I can figure. I do have a propane gas detector on the bathroom wall near the floor. And as far as venting near the floor, I can't figure an easy way to do that.

Chap
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
BrigCA61

Our TM has a gap at the floor of the door, so if there were any CO build-up some of it could escape there. We also keep the bathroom window cracked as well as the door window. We usually keep the heater on the counter near the sink. I have felt the ceiling above the heater after it has been on awhile, and although it is warm, I can comfortably hold my hand on the ceiling for at least a minute or more - it is not too hot. I think when the sun beats down on the metal roof above, it is probably hotter than the metal ceiling gets with the Mr Heater Buddy on. We use a seperate 20# propane tank which is outdoors and run the Mr. Heater Buddy hose through the gap at the end of the vinyl flap nearest to the sink - we also use the Mr. Heater Buddy filter which is required when using the larger propane tanks and hose. We may purchase a Honda generator later to use the TM heater on battery when boondocking and recharge during the day, but for now the Mr. Heater Buddy works very well. I have researched it quite a bit and read many reviews, and find it very safe when used property. Of course, everyone should decide for themselves if they feel safe using a product... if not, don't use it!

The User Manual states: "This heater can only be used in a recreational or
commercial enclosure with a window or roof vent. This heater requires a vent area of 9 square inches (example 3” x 3” opening) minimum for adequate ventilation during operation. When used without adequate combustion and ventilation air, this heater may give off excessive CARBON MONOXIDE, an odorless, poisonous gas."

Here's the PDF file for the Mr. Heater Buddy User Manual:
http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsl...20MH9B_eng.pdf

And, here's a press release I found when it first came out, almost 8 years ago:

NEW! A SAFE, PORTABLE PROPANE HEATER FOR INDOOR USE
Mr. Heater Introduces the Portable Buddy at National Hardware Show

Cleveland, OH, August, 2000 --- Mr. Heater Corporation will unveil its new portable Buddy indoor safe radiant heater at the National Hardware Show in Chicago's McCormick Place, August 13-16, 2000. The portable Buddy is the first propane gas-fired radiant heater to be certified indoor-safe by CSA International (formerly the American Gas Association) for recreational and commercial indoor use.

The portable Buddy efficiently provides temporary heat for tents, cabins, truck caps, recreational vehicles, ice fishing shanties, porches, patios, garage workshops, construction trailers, etc. It's also an emergency aid for power outages in cold weather.

Mr. Heater's Buddy meets new CSA standards for indoor recreational and commercial use by using an oxygen depletion safety system (ODS) that automatically shuts off the heater when the oxygen level drops below acceptable levels in enclosed spaces. The Buddy's ODS system, designed to operate in portable heaters up to 10,000 BTU's, eliminates the risk of Carbon Monoxide (CO) dangers occurring. Carbon Monoxide dangers occur when heaters designed for outdoor use only are used improperly in enclosed, unventilated spaces.

The portable Buddy features high and low settings that be set to generate between 4,000 and 9,000 BTU's of continuous, odor-free heat. Compact and weighing only seven pounds, Buddy can heat up to 250 square feet of space for up to six hours on a single, one-pound propane cylinder.

Product shipments to retailers, including major hardware chains, will begin in August, 2000. The suggested retail price is $99.95.

Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, Mr. Heater is a leading manufacturer of gas-fired portable radiant heating products for consumer, commercial and industrial applications. Additional photos are available upon request. For more information contact Judy Edwards or John DuRoss at Mr. Heater Corporation: 216-881-5500 or 800-251-0001. Visit Mr. Heater online at www.mrheater.com.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 AM   #10
FightinIrish

Sounds to me that as long as you leave a window cracked ever so slightly, you should be okay. Its just a bit scary as it isn't something you can say ooops, shouldnt have done that. I want to make sure myself, wife and lab wake up in the morning.