TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
camp_in_pa

Default Insects Eating my Shell?

I just noticed in my front shell a small pile of styrofoam "snow". It was in the upper cabinets of my 98 2518. I previously noticed a small amount of styrofoam "snow" coming from the upper corner but it was only a little. However, when I opened the upper cabinet door, there was a good handful of stryfoam.

I live in Southcentral PA so we don't have fire ants or big bugs.

And I don't see any insects inside or out!

Any idea what might be eating my Trailmanor?

And how do I get rid of them if I can't see them, see an entry point, or even see any holes where this styrofoam is coming from.

Or is it possible that the styrofoam snow if coming from something rubbing when I drive?

Thanks.

This problem is really eating at me!

Dean
Old 07-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you clean it out, does it come back? The only time I've seen this is when I've drilled into the ceiling, there is a bit of styrofoam dust from the drill bit. I can't imagine any insect wanting to eat styrofoam, but who knows?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

A picture might help.
When I got mine serviced upon claiming ownership, (1996 2518) they found a piece of styrofoam in my back shell wall was rotted. They were replacing the seal at the edge of the shell when they found it. I never saw any evidence of a problem but they said it needed replacement so I let them do it. Could it be something like that?
Cheri
Old 07-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
pbuck1

If it's as much as a handful, it's probably mice (I've had similar problem but elsewhere in the TM) . If the styrofoam is not from a local source, then they could have brought it from another place in the TM to use as nesting material. It's surprising how they get into places with no apparent entrance/exit.
To confirm look for mouse droppings. Leave some toilet paper out overnight to see if it gets chewed.

If it's mice , I found cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil worked best as a deterrent... and mouse traps with peanut butter work for the undeterred.

-Paul
Old 07-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

On our last trip we picked up a mouse who was eating the sprayed insulation around a wheel well. It ventured into our house (from the garage) and carted off a small basketful of raw peanuts in the shell. We have not found them yet, but we caught it in the TM using peanut butter.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Insect problem

It might be carpenter ants. We just had a problem with them in the house. They don't eat the wood or materials. They just chew it up to make a nest in it. I did a Google search about carpenter ants, and really learned a lot about them. I went to the local Agway store, and bought some spray just for carpenter ants.

Ron's sister and brother in law had the same problem in the ceiling of their TrailManor. They took the light covers down, and they were full with the styrofoam pieces. They bought the spray, and sprayed up in the light fixture areas. Also, you can buy ant bait that you can put around in the trailer. The bait that I bought was also good for carpenter ants. Just don't let any pets get into it. Read the labels to make sure that the bait or spray is good for carpenter ants.

Hope this helps.