TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
wmtire

Default Shell Support Arms Pocket question

I have found several threads that state how to adjust the shell support arms at the point where they meet the torsion part.

Has anyone ever had to repair where the support arms are bolted into the shells? Since the arms also pivot at the shells, can (I guess the term is called a pocket) this pocket wear or wallow also?

The reason I ask, is my TM is barely engaging both of the the spring-loaded hook latches on the curb side. The hold down pins on the shells barely hook on the very edge of the hook itself. This has caused the point of the hooks to wear off and let my shell become released.

My local TM dealer said that it sounded to him like the pockets inside the shells were wallowed, and needed replacing. I am not doubting, what he said because they are an excellent dealer with first rate customer service.....I am just wanting to learn for myself exactly what these pockets are. I assume they are something that goes inside the shells that holds the support arms, to let them pivot. Anyone with advice or experience with this problem, I would greatly appreciate comments.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

wmtire,

Take a look at this thread for information on the pockets . . . especially post #17.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ket+adjustment

You might also find this link helpful (even though it is for an older model):

http://members.aol.com/br768/index.html

My spring loaded hold down hooks also grab very close to the end of the hook but have not worn so as to prevent them from latching.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

One side of ours would catch just on the end of the hook. A few times it came open when traveling. it was the back shell, so nothing realy came open, just unlatched. When we were at the TM factory last March, for other things, they just took off the catch, drilled new holes back and put it back on. It has been fine since.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
wmtire

I really appreciate the responses. I can't brag enough on how much TM'ers help each other. I keep learning so much from everyone's advice.

I was talking again to my dealer today. He told me how to check and see if the pockets were wore inside the shells. He said to make sure your shells were raised up fully (but not locked at the ends). Stand to the middle and side of each shell half, then try to pick it up. It shouldn't give, but if it did then the pockets were wore. You could tell how bad, by how much give it had.

I'll test mine when I get home.