TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If you run the refrig on 12VDC while you drive, does it deplete your TM battery?
Yes, my TM battery is down when I stop driving. 8 18.60%
No, my TM battery is fine when I stop driving. 35 81.40%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Running the refrig on 12VDC while driving

Some members report that if they run the refrig on 12VDC while driving, the TM battery is depleted at the end of the day. Others do not have this problem. Do you experience this problem?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I suspect many of us have different batteries, TVs, and time/distance driven. These three factors will likely account for the different battery conditions when arriving at our destinations.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hi, guys -

I certainly agree. But it is a habit of the human condition to yell loudest when something is wrong, so I wasn't sure how often the problem actually occurs. My question (my curiosity, actually) is to try to get a handle on how common the problem really is.

Incidentally, I am one of the ones who suffers from this problem. And I am in the process of installing a separate dedicated 10-gauge power line (power and ground wires) directly from the alternator of my Explorer to the 12VDC terminals of the refrig (or the TM battery terminals). I'll post the results when I have observed some repeatable results - maybe a month from now?

Meantime, if you have tried to run with the refrig on DC, and have something to report one way or another, make your voice heard! Vote!!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
pbuck1

I voted with the nos. Typical trip duration is 4-6 hours. When I installed my trailer wiring I ran 10 awg wire (with resettable breaker in series) directly from the battery to the Bargman. I can leave the TV connnected for an hour or two for, say, a meal stop, but forgetting to disconnect overnight drains the TV battery, as I found out once the hard way.
-Paul
Old 09-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
dbnoll

I have a GM Chevy Trailblazer, and there is a fuse located under the hood which powers the charging circuit in the seven-way trailer connector. On one trip the battery had died in the TM while running the refrigerator and after investigation, I discovered this fuse was blown. I replaced and so far no more problems.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
PopBeavers

If I leave home with depleted batteries on the TM, a pair of group 24s, and run the fridge on 12 volts while towing when I arrive in camp the fridge is cold and the batteries are fully charged.

I bought the TV used. As far as I know is is stock wiring, but does have the tow package.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
Ernie & Mary Balotti

I ran into this a couple of times. After running voltage tests on my charge back line on the 7-way plug, I found it was only making occasional contact. After bending the prongs tighter for a better connection, I arrived with a fully charged battery and a cold fridge. Just like Dave's situation, if you're not charging, you're draining.

Ernie & Mary Balotti
2004 2720SL
2002 Ford Explorer 6cyl
Old 09-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Debian Dog

Anything more than 12 hours and it is dead.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

For Norcold model N300, the "Installaton and Owner's Manual" states current draw under DC operation at 12 amps/12VDC, 14 amps/14VDC.

I've done the math, with my 50 amp hour battery my TV does very little to help my battery along when i'm on the road. I'm hoping that a solar panel will help put an end to this DOA battery situation.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
shunter917
Site Sponsor

We have never had a problem with the TV battery and running the frig on 12v. One time, we stayed overnight in a motel and I left the TM power cord attached to the TV. I opened the TM just enought to crawl in and switch the frig to propane, but left the fan running all night. The next day, I switched back to 12 v and we were on our way no problem. The rig was parked about 12 - 14 hours.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote