TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
edandsharon

Default Trailer hitch receiver on TM rear bumper

Has anyone installed a receiver so a hitch, or hitch with some storage space can be mounted behind the rear bumper? There doesn't seem to be much steel to mount a receiver without some creative welding.
edandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Mine came with a receiver, I have a hitch haul and vinyl bag that I use for extra storage. I keep my weight relatively light and have zero issues.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edandsharon View Post
Has anyone installed a receiver so a hitch, or hitch with some storage space can be mounted behind the rear bumper? There doesn't seem to be much steel to mount a receiver without some creative welding.
Not sure where you are looking to mount it? The factory hitch; the receiver tube connects to a bar that runs across to both frame rails where it is mounted. But even going to the frame rails, it very limited to weight with a bike rack. Something like 100 or 150 lbs.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
stormpeakco

Default Rear Factory 2" receiver hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Would the TM receiver be strong enough for a bike rack with 3 or 4 bikes?
__________________________________________________ ______
Hi and welcome (many good ideas come from these very experienced folks).
When we purchased our new 2720QB, one carrot of the dickering process was for the dealer to mount (bolted-welded) a TM factory 2" receiver hitch that is rated @ 150#s.

To answer your question above, it all depends on the weight of the rack AND if the bikes are feather weight, sub-16# carbon fiber roadbikes vs. a sweet lookin'towny that weighs 40# vs. some that are kid bikes (can't imagine trying to place more than one heavy weight e-bike on a rack).
(I installed a full time rear view camera on the TM and to witness the bucking of the bikes without a truly rigid bike rack system brings some horror to mind/pocket book. Thus the expensive change from a Saris Thelma 2 to a 1Upusa).
I.E. Our 1upusa aluminum 2 bike rack (~46#s plus our two Marie Osmond like 23.5# mtbs) is mounted on top of a heavy duty hitch extender (~26#, supports the majority of all the combined bike and bike rack weight & reduces the stress on the neck of rack welds with the bucking) while towing with rigid anti-rattle Hitch Vise and two ratchet straps (to further minimize bike movement induced from the wind while on the move). Adding a 3rd bike and a third bolt on 1Upusa unit, likely, would exceed the 150#mark.

Can you mount one or two of the total number of bikes on the roof of the TV or front of the TM tongue or front of the TV (as some TMers have done)? Good Luck and let the members know how you've solved your quandry.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

I bolted and welded a receiver into my TM

See post #27 and 28 in this posting

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...r+hitch&page=3

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote