TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Welcome Mat - Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
Twinkee75

Default I'm in!

Hi everyone!

I am picking up my 2023 Trailmanor 2518KD tomorrow! I am so excited to join in on the fun. This will be our first trailer experience and after a year of research, this is what we decided.

Currently we are "weekenders" as we still are working full time on site, but I wanted a trailer that we could take to events, weekends and little vacations.

Daring to be a bit different, I am pulling this with a Tesla Model Y. It has a tow package installed stock and can handle the 2518 specs. No gas bill! Fun fact: You can charge your car using the RV electrical hookups at an RV site.

Anyway, I am sure there will be learning curve with my equipment, but I am excited to join the group.
Twinkee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
mickmanor

Default Congratulations on your TM and your TMY!

Everyone will be waiting for your trip report and looking for a pic.
Only tip I would offer is to make sure your TM brakes are working.

Do not hesitate to ask for advice and post questions!

Best wishes and Happy Camping!
mickmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkee75 View Post
Hi everyone!
... Daring to be a bit different, I am pulling this with a Tesla Model Y. ... Fun fact: You can charge your car using the RV electrical hookups at an RV site.
Welcome aboard! You are going to love TMing. Like others, I am anxious to hear your report on towing with an electric vehicle.

I'm thinking that the Fun Fact won't last long. Charging an electric vehicle takes an enormous amount of power (actually energy), and the campgrounds are seeing what this does to their electric bill. Not all have imposed limitations, but I've been in some that either assign you to a metered site, or charge a surcharge, if they see an electric vehicle pull in. Enjoy it while you can!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
Twinkee75

Thanks for the tips, I am sure I will be on here a lot to get info.

I am having Tesla install a brake controller to help with those brakes, but yes, testing is key and safety first!

Regarding the hook ups, I have already been camping with my Tesla at some RV sites in a couple of states. It has a "camp mode" setting. You can make the back end a bed that even a tall person can tolerate for an overnight getaway. Plays a campfire scene on the screen and everything. Ha ha. Nothing is "running" like a gas vehicle so it's quiet as a mouse and will keep the cabin climate controlled while you snooze. A Tesla doesn't utilize any more energy than a 5th wheel would, it is built to detect the current and only draw what is safe, you can even set your charge to a lower amperage to draw less, if needed. A 30 amp site is more than enough to charge as the 50 amp sites can be hard to get on occasion or there is a cost associated due to that being the preferred connection for the larger trailers. Also, you don't keep it plugged in the whole time you are there, just enough to juice it back up where you need it as it will conclude using power based on your settings. It really is a myth that an electric vehicle draws a big gulp of electricity on a 30 or 50 amp hook up. No more than a trailer would while running the air or heat.

I have had lots of questions from the management at the RV sites because it is still a new concept. So far, the issue is thinking one would try to plug in both your vehicle and your trailer at the same time, which I would agree is too much for the infrastructure, unsafe and a unfair draw on power. The sites I have used so far are fine with a one vehicle at a time, per site, as that really is what everyone else has.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Unless your campsite has 50A service don’t plan on getting much of a charge. My wife has a Nissan Leaf. She met our son and I at the campground, and our site was 30A. The plug for the charger is the same as a 50A RV plug but we had to use a 50A => 30A dogbone. After charging most of the day it had barely put any charge back to the car.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #6
Twinkee75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Unless your campsite has 50A service don’t plan on getting much of a charge. My wife has a Nissan Leaf. She met our son and I at the campground, and our site was 30A. The plug for the charger is the same as a 50A RV plug but we had to use a 50A => 30A dogbone. After charging most of the day it had barely put any charge back to the car.
Maybe that's an issue with that car? Not sure. I have not had an issue with the 30 amp sites. I agree the 50 amp plug is a standard connection, faster and preferred. But a 30 works for a Tesla if it's just parked. I did have to buy a special adapter as a 30 amp rv adapter will not work on a Tesla at all. I learned that the hard way. Lol.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:41 AM   #7
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Nope you’re right. I was wrong how we adapted down. It was 50A => 20A, a household outlet. I don’t have a dog bone to plug a 50A connector to a 30A outlet, I have the other way around so I can plug the camper into the Leaf charger at home.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 12-17-2022, 11:46 AM   #8
Shane826
TrailManor Master

PS- I just ordered a 50A female to 30A male adapter for just such an occasion. This one is on sale at Amazon for $10.

https://a.co/d/8mgh7pj
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 12-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #9
Twinkee75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
PS- I just ordered a 50A female to 30A male adapter for just such an occasion. This one is on sale at Amazon for $10.

https://a.co/d/8mgh7pj
I wish! I had to get a very specific adapter as the grounding on a tesla is proprietary.

Tesla sells adapter kits, which I did get. 50, 30, 20 etc....but the tesla brand 30 is for an appliance outlet. Not the same (as I learned while camping, lol.) I tried grabbing a 50->30 rv adapter to use tesla 50 amp plug. No go, due to the grounding as I said.

This is what I had to get and it works like a charm.

AC WORKS EV Charging Adapter for Tesla Use (TT-30P RV/Trailer 30A to Tesla) https://a.co/d/gAnHe5C
Old 12-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

How is plugging into a higher current receptacle expected to speed up charging? Though I’ve ever researched it, I’ve always been under the impression that all the chargers above level 1 (about 1000 watts?) required 240 volts, and you’ll never find that at a campsite.

How does plugging into a 30 or 50 amp 120 volt receptacle offer any benefit over a standard 15 amp receptacle?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote