TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2023, 11:13 AM   #15
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default Grit in the water line

I am going to attempt to pull my anode rod this afternoon. A new to me '08 this year. I'm pretty sure that based on a lot of other little maintenance items that I discovered not performed by the PO, that it is probably the original and in sorry shape.

Another thing that is leading me to believe that it likely needs to come out is the fact that when I flush my toilet, with no water on (to get some pink stuff into the bottom of my Poor man's Sealand to keep the black tank from drying out, or to check the level in the tank) there is grit that comes out the water outlet. I thought maybe I had dirt in my fresh tank. But it was only in the toilet. Brand new toilet. Was driving me crazy until I thought more about the plumbing in the TM.

The water flow goes from the fresh tank and then out to both the cold and hot (via the water heater). But if there is no pressure in the cold lines after I have opened the flush valve with no water pump on, and I haven't drained the water heater yet, what I'm getting is back flow from the BOTTOM of the water heater due to hydrostatic pressure. So I'm pretty sure there is a significant amount of sediment in the bottom of that heater tank and that is the source of the grit into the toilet.

Fortunately I already have a 1-1/16" socket from a previous application, a small ball peen hammer for some "tap-tap"ing, and a breaker bar, and some PB Blaster (if I need it). The nut on the end of the rod looks pretty corroded so the whole thing may crumble when I try to remove it. Or it could be cemented in there so badly I may need to drill it out.

Going to take pictures for posterity.