TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
SCBillandJane

Default Water Heater

Having burned out some elements in a water heater at our mountain cabin, I know that it doesn't take long if there is no water in the heater when it is turned on. As new owners with little information about how the water heater works, does the heater fill automatically when hooked to city water? when the water pump pumps from the water tank? Do you need to run water first through the hot water faucet? How do you turn it on and switch between electric and propane?
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
wmtire

Bill has an excellent downloadable document about the Trailmanor water heater in the "Trailmanor information you won't find anywhere else" forum. It should answer everything for you. You might want to print it out to put inside the trailer. I did.

Word of caution: [Learned from these forums]If you do turn the switch on the outside to the electric setting, MAKE SURE to turn it back to OFF when disconnecting from shore power and before you drain your water to travel again. If you leave it it set to ON, then if you reconnect to shore power again (say at home or the next campsite) without first having filled the water heater with water, it will burn the element up. I made a lockout tag to remind me to do this. I put the tag where I have connected my water hose to the fresh water inlet. If you are boondocking, it might be wise to place it on your drain valves.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2457
Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
does the heater fill automatically when hooked to city water?
Yes
Quote:
when the water pump pumps from the water tank?
Yes
Quote:
Do you need to run water first through the hot water faucet?
Yes. To be extra sure, you can open the 3 inside hot water faucets to get all the air out of the lines.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tim -

Let me add the caveat. Yes, if you hook up to city water, or if the water pump pumps from the fresh water tank, the water heater will fill, but only if and when you turn on a hot water faucet. Any hot water faucet will do, but the kitchen sink is probably easiest. After all, the hot water tank starts out being full of air, and unless you let the air out, there is no way for the water to get in. So you must turn on a faucet, then allow the heater to fill - and then you can turn on the electric element.

Once the tank is full, as you say it is a good idea to open all three hot water faucets to bleed the air out of the pipes, which eliminates the burping and splashing that would otherwise result. This step is not necessary for the health of the water heater, but it avoids an unexpected surprise later in the evening!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
viking

To cut down on the bumping/vibrating of the pipes when I am bleeding the air out of the hot and cold water supplys I open the drain valves on the outside back of the TM under where the bathroom is. When water comes out of the drain valves I shut them and this reduces the amount of air vibration on the inside fixtures.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I purge the air out of the rear low point drain valves first, because I don't care about it spitting and splashing. Then I finish by purging the air in the kitchen sink, bathroom sink , indoor shower and outdoor shower.

I light the stove first to make sure I have gas flowing in the lines.

Then I flip the switch to light the water heater.

When I hear the water heater flame I light the fridge.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
SCBillandJane

Thank you for the answers and the extra tips about getting rid of the air. I have printed the information and have started a Trailmanor book to be kept inside the trailer which is another good idea. The picture is great, Bill.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Another helpful suggestion: fill the fresh water hose to evacuate as much air as possible before making the fresh water connection to the TM. I use a right angle elbow on the fresh water connection (at the TM) and a "Y" shut off threaded onto the elbow. When connecting the fresh water hose I open the free end of the "Y" connector to evacuate the air in the hose. The other opening of the "Y" connector is attached to the elbow and opened once the air has been evacuated from the fresh water hose.

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/75-476-hose-shut-off-and-y''s.aspx
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

What a great idea, Dick! It never occurred to me - but now it will!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Shelley Glassgow

I am a new owner of a 2001 3023. I only have written instructions but no diagrams. Could someone please tell me where I fill the fresh water tank while it is opened? I have only seen how to fill it when is is closed. I'm sure this is a ridiculous question but we haven't used the TM yet. I am trying to understand the setup as much as I can before our first trip.