TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
cire74

Default Maneuvering a 2720 in my garage?

I have a 3 car attached garage with one double door and one single door that are interconnected on the inside. The garage is 83"H (lowest point) x 19'D. I plan on maneuvering the trailer through the double door and into position behind the single door. That is what I did with the 19' boat I had and recently sold. This previously allowed me to park our two cars in the garage along with the boat.

Last time I taped the floor to create a track to ensure the wheels were exactly where needed prior to pushing it back and then rotating it.

Will I still be able to pull this stunt off with a 2619 or 2720 with a swing hitch? I am sure I could with the 2518 and 2417.

Last time I taped the floor to create a track to ensure it went where I needed it to each time prior to rotating it in place

I bought a different tow vehicle today, an 08 Ford Explorer V8 with tow package, so the only limitation now is the size of the garage. Thanks!
cire74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I think it would help to know how deep your garage is. You can invest in a trailermover, which you may have already for your boat. The swing hitch should bring you down to 19 feet overall, but depending on the type of mover you have you may not be able to swing the hitch back while moving.

We have an 08 explorer as well and love it. Just watch the heater y pipe that snakes down by the exhaust manifold. Also check the hose clamps for the rear heater hoses under the rear of the truck. They tend to rust off.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
cire74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
I think it would help to know how deep your garage is. You can invest in a trailermover, which you may have already for your boat. The swing hitch should bring you down to 19 feet overall, but depending on the type of mover you have you may not be able to swing the hitch back while moving.

We have an 08 explorer as well and love it. Just watch the heater y pipe that snakes down by the exhaust manifold. Also check the hose clamps for the rear heater hoses under the rear of the truck. They tend to rust off.
Thanks for the advice on the heater y pipe and hope clamps. The usable garage depth is exactly 19' deep in the single car area where the trailer would be. I thought the swing hitch brought the 2720 down to about 18'.

I do have my harbor freight trailermover. The tires suck but as long as I refill them before I use it each time it works.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
cjminear

My 2619 is about 16 ft 8 in Long with the Hitch folded it seems like you would have to go in at an angle but with the trailer hauler you need to have the hitch out to swing the trailer so that might be tight to clear the pillar between the two garage doors. I also use the harbor freight trailer mover. If there was a way to swing it with the hitch folded then it wouldn't be an issue.
cjminear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I don't have a swing hitch, so I was guessing. It sounds like you'd have 18' to work with.

Don't forget that the trailer is a good 8' wide which will affect your ability to swing into the single car spot.

A crazy idea, but what about putting it on car dollies and pushing it sideways with the explorer? Is your mover powered? (I don't see how you could move the trailer without power anyway )

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #6
cire74

Quote:
I don't have a swing hitch, so I was guessing. It sounds like you'd have 18' to work with.

Don't forget that the trailer is a good 8' wide which will affect your ability to swing into the single car spot.

A crazy idea, but what about putting it on car dollies and pushing it sideways with the explorer? Is your mover powered? (I don't see how you could move the trailer without power anyway )
The mover is not powered but my wife and I should be able to move it. I used to move the boat on the trailer by myself and maneuver it into the garage. I will most likely invest in a powered mover if I can find a used one at a decent price.

Funny you mentioned the dollies. I previously researched that and the consensus from everything I read on different trailer forums is that the dollies don't really work well, as in they don't roll in the direction you expect them to with the castering wheels. It also requires jacking up the trailer on both sides. It would be awesome to be able to push it sideways. If anyone as successfully done this without the dollies breaking please give me some advice.

Now that I have an adequate TV i'd like to get the biggest TM I can fit in the garage. If I go too big and it has to take up two spots in the garage because I miscalculated, I will never heard the end of it from DW.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #7
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Renovate the garage! Sell the idea by bringing home a 3326.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
cire74

Quote:
Renovate the garage! Sell the idea by bringing home a 3326.
Ha...my HOA would have me for lunch...

I think I will give these a try from HF. The reviews are surprisingly good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolly.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	19081  
Old 06-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Be real careful here. I'm not sure these will carry the weight. The ad says "5200 pounds" right up front, but the owner's manual seems to say 1300 pounds each, for a total of 5200 pounds when used 4 at a time under the four wheels of a car (it is a car dolly, after all). Then you go back, and find that the ad says "5200 pounds max vehicle weight". Of course, 5200 pounds per dolly would be great - 1300 pounds per dolly, not so much.

Just as a reminder, all these dollies have small wheels, and may be difficult-to-impossible to roll over any irregularity, such as a seam in a concrete floor. You can get past this by filling the seam with a bit of concrete. But it sounds to me like you really need a trailer mover. For moving around on a level floor, there are less-expensive movers that you power with a hefty drill, rather than an on-board motor.

Let us know how it works out. I have the same 2-and-1 garage arrangement that you do.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I don’t see this working with a 2720 and even a 2619 will be tight... The garage is 19ft deep. Won’t you have to get the trailer in place with the swing tongue in the towing position, then drop the front jacks, then swing the tongue around? I’m not sure you can move the TM so well with the swing tongue swung around.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote