TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
jcjim4

Default Don't add an elbow to the city water connection

Took a previous forum's suggestion and added the elbow. Worked good for several campings but on this last one I removed the hose but FORGOT to remove the elbow. BIG MISTAKE!. When I arrived home, I opened the shells and observed the damage. A torn Bathroom window screen, damage to the metal window frame, and a serious 10"gouge line down the aluminum inner wall below the window frame. This is in addition to also breakiing the plastic housing that holds the water connector! Don't Do It!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

I have an elbow attached to the short hose on my water filter. I always attach and remove the whole filter/hose/elbow assembly as a unit - and store it that way. I like the elbow because it helps reduce some of the pressure that the filter gives when hanging from the city water connection. And it keeps the filter off the ground. I do the same thing with my water pressure regulator - always leave it connected to the hose and store it - that way the hose/regulator always comes off the city water faucet as an assembly. Of course this advice is a little late for you I guess. Others should heed your advice or take measures to insure it doesn't happen to them! Hope the repairs are not too painful.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Tuscany Bandit

Jim,
I did the EXACT same thing a few years ago, only it didn't break the plastic housing. I replaced the screen and placed a border of contact paper the length of the bath room on the wall to hide the gouge (actually it looks pretty nice). Since then I make DARN sure it is removed befor closing!
And I thought I was the only one to have ever forgotten to remove that thing!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
mgoblue911

Default forgetting to remove the elbow

C'mon Jerry, you knew that there were more of you,... I mean US, that have done the same thing (smile)...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
jcjim4

jerry & jon---wish u had admitted it on the forum sooner! might have saved me from getting more grey hairs. have too many already. thanks anyway. Now I don't feel like I'm the only occasional dunce!
jim
Old 06-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I have a similar problem. I never use the city water connection. But, I am forever forgetting to close the cap for the tank filler. Fortunately, this causes no damage.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Tuscany Bandit

Jim,
Here's one for you! Talk about being a dunce!..I was trying to put the wheels back on the trailer while in the closed position after having them balanced and jacked it up a little too far...NOT A GOOD IDEA! The jacks collapsed and had to replace one of them. The screw on one of the jacks went through the floor, but was an easy fix. I hate to admit it, but I guess you live & learn!! That had to be one of the more stupid things I have done in my 65 years.

Jerry
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Many years ago I was under my 1965 Chevy Impala. I had it up on a pair of jack stands.

I had lost the original pins for the jacks. So, I just used a large nail instead.

While I was under said car, bot jacks sheared each nail in two palces. The resulted in both jacks dropping to the lowest position. Fortunately, both rear wheels were still properly mounted. I had jacked it up to gain a little elbow room.

I was untouched and unhurt. I wiggled out from under the car. I was home alone at the time.

I learned the following:

1. There is no such thing as too many jack stands.

2. Always used the pin for the jack stand.

3. Leave the wheels on whenever possible.

4. Never climb under a car (or trailer) unless someone else is present.

When in doubt, hire someone that knows what they are doing.