TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
natur_lover

Question Water Pump Question

Hi, we tried to take our new TM out and discovered a problem with our water pump. It worked at the dealership when we took delivery but since we wanted better water, we drained their water and filled it with our own. We used a water softener so there wouldn't be a build-up of minerals in the water heater, etc.

When we tried to turn on the water pump, it didn't work. I read through the information they gave us and didn't see anything addressing the problem.

Is there something else we need to do?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
hal

Do you hear any pump noise when you turn it on? Also, before it will pump water the remaining space in the water storage tank has to be pressurized. Depending on the amount of this air space on the top of the tank, it could take a couple minutes to begin circulating. And of course a faucet should be opened to allow the air to escape.

I have heard of a couple fixes for the water pump. On is to prime the pump by reversing the flow direction of the water. Do this by inserting water in through the sink faucet.

The second method is to lightly tap the water pump with the handle of a screw driver or some other tool.

Hal
Old 05-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
natur_lover

Thanks Hal, the water pump doesn't make any noise ... we waited a very long time thinking it needed to pressurize before we'd hear it. I heard a faint gurgling, that's all.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
natur_lover

Thanks Leon, I didn't check for loose connections ... didn't want to poke around something I wasn't too sure about. I guess the first issue is where the pump is located. I assume it's under the couch with the water tank.

I looked at the fuses ... ours says the heater is on the same fuse. When we tried the heater it worked. I didn't actually pull the fuse to look at it.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
PopBeavers

Assuming that you can easily get to the pump, use a volt meter to see if you have 12 volts at the pump when the switch is on.

If you have 12 volts, check the pump.

If you don't have 12 volts, check the fuse and wiring.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Water Pump

You should at least hear the water pump when you hit the switch - you might not get any water right away, but you should hear the pump. I would guess you have a bad electrical connection, or the pump itself is faulty. If the fuses look OK, check the connections at the pump like someone suggested, if they look OK check the wiring behind the switch (at the sink). The wiring is easy to get at, and it could be a wire simply got disconnected from the switch. A longshot, but I guess the switch itself could also be bad (but I doubt it-I'm betting on a loose wire somewhere).
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Also, before it will pump water the remaining space in the water storage tank has to be pressurized. Depending on the amount of this air space on the top of the tank, it could take a couple minutes to begin circulating. And of course a faucet should be opened to allow the air to escape.
Hal -

I have to take a minor exception here. The water storage tank is NOT pressurized. In fact, the tank is vented to the outside at all times. The water just lies there in the tank, and flows to the pump because of the suction that the pump creates when it runs.

So, as others have said, the pump should run when the switch is turned on, assuming that a faucet (any faucet) is turned on. If the pump does not run, then either it is not receiving 12-volt power, or the pressure switch in the pump has failed. I would give the hose end of the pump housing a good solid rap with a screwdriver handle in case the switch has stuck, but there isn't really any other high-tech solution.

By the way, Shur-Flo makes rebuild kits for these pumps, which may include a new pressure switch. Rebuilding is easy.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Freedom

With a 2007 trailer I think I would be calling the factory. It should be under warranty and if you disassemble the pump you may void that warranty.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
PopBeavers

Perhaps the reference to the need to pressurize the water storage tank was a reference to the water heater tank.

The water heater tank is pressurized, and the faucets won't work well at all until the air is purged from the 6 gallon water heater tank.

The main supply tank, 30 gallons in my case, is not pressurized and is vented to the outside.

Also, some people put a tank on the pressure side of the pump to reduce the jack hammer affect. I have not done so, but some TM owners have.

So, there could easily be 3 different tanks in the water system. Some have pressure and some do not.