TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
camping with kids

Default 3023 couch/bed

I have yet to be inside a 3023, but it is one we are looking at (the other being the 2720). We are wondering if the couch/bed could be extended to make a bed such as the dinette bed in the 2720? The brochure says the 3023 can sleep 6, but that means 2 people have to sleep on the 41X69 couch! It could be done, but not comfortably! Just wondered if it was possible, or if anyone had made this modification?
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I would imagine that you could rig something up like fold-up shelf with brackets underneath on the shorter couch. The furnace is probably under there (if it's like my 2720), so you might have to cut out a hole for that. Then you could lay the cushions down from the back of the shorter couch onto the "bed". Because my kids are bigger now, we rigged up a clothes pole and clothes pole bracket to sit underneath the dinette when it's folded down into a bed, otherwise the bed is just too unstable. The dinette is centered and it would need something underneath to hold it up if you were to use it for part of the bed, plus you'd have to take it off of the wall, which would be kind of a hassle because it comes in pieces.

You'll see what I mean when you go check it out.

That might work...I'm not sure how far out the sofa bed pulls out. Bring your tape measure when you go check them out.

D
Old 04-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I have the 2720. DW and I sleep well on the rear queen. We would not be happy with the double in the 2619.

DS, at 6 foot 5, sleeps well in the front double, but he takes up most of the space, being a very restless sleeper.

My nephew has slept on the dinette. He is about 6 foot even and sleeps more or less diagonally.

IMO, two adults would manage on the front double in the 2720 for a few nights, like a weekend, but a full week would likely become rather uncomfortable.

To put two on the dinette they need to be shorter than 6 foot, and not real wide. Two teens would be tight, but two middle school kids would likely fit, if they don't fight.

When DS and DD are with us, DS gets the front double. DD is welcome to the dinette. She would fit nicely because she is only about 5 foot 6. However, she prefers to be in her backpacking tent as far from the TM as she can get. Allegedly I snore. I have no doubt that if it were to storm severely that she would come over to the TM to stay dry and just put up with her allegations against me.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Bill & Lisa

From an owner of a 3023....

1. The furnace is under the street side couch which is also the one that converts to a bed. It is all the way on the end near the Fridge but I still worry about bed linen hanging down in front of the furnace and potential fire hazard. Not a great design IMHO but I can't think of a better one either....

2. It would be "possible" to bring alond a piece of plywood and suspend it over the gap between the two couches but:
a. the cushions on the curbside couch will not work in the gap as they are wide at the bottom and taper towards the top, so laying them flat doesn't work. I suppose you could but the wider part towards the wall and it create a little bit of a bowl effect but that reduces the room for putting two people in some what.
b. The bridging material would need to be strong and thin so the "ridge" formed where it rests on the two couches can't be felt through the cushions. Maybe metal sheet vice plywood?
c. Access to the front bed in now obtained by "walking" on the lower bed. Most kids and even fewer adults appreciate having someone walk over thier bed especially if it is in the middle of the night and they are in it when someone in the front bed has to use the bathroom. OH by the way, whatever you use to bridge the gap will need to be strong enough so that when one of the front bed folks walks over it on the way to/from their bed it holds up.

I know the book says it sleeps 6 by I only say 5 when I talk to people.

Bill
Old 04-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Magdefrau

I know this................If a fellow, as I have done, has four 1X4X5 boards evenly space between the two couches the cushion can lay evenly from one wall to the other. My wife and I have slepted nicly on this double bed. Children will find this perfectly fine. Yes, TM of this size sleeps six. The cushion that has the extra framing fits over the water tank with the extra board agaist the wall. This lifts the cushion level with the plane of the bed. The four borads need to be kepted under the cushions of the noncurb couch. Also the borads need to be wrapped as they will quickly rub the finnish of the TMs wood work. The heater works fine when the bed is in place. Take care not to allow bedding to fall over the opening under the bed. Keep the heater outlet free from shoes and other debis. Though it is tight in the morning the bed fold ups quickly. A Tent is tight to. But while eveyone helps square the ship away the cook has breakfast ready in good order.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

The question is: how old are the kids?We have a 3023 and have slept 2 adults on the back bed, 3 small kids crossways on the front bunk and one each on the couches.That was one teenager (adult size) and 4 little ones from age 4 to 10. Works fine.We've never tried it other than summer time, so haven't involved the furnace.We love our TM.We usually eat outdoors and cook outdoors, too, when we have the kids with us.We also have a 90 lb. chocolate lab, who sleeps under the bunk. Have fun. Northwoods.
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote