TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Buzzardrump

Default To A/C or Not to A/C?? That is the question..

I have read and re-read threads in this forum and seem to have found the answers to most, if not all, of my basic questions as a prospective owner of a TM. However, one needs asking...Why does everyone seem to have an A/C?? From what I have read, it would appear that it is not of much benefit if you boondock a lot unless you have a generator. The tv antenna is not beneficial if you plan to use satellite, and the awning is supposedly susceptible to wind damage, so not sure I really need those either. I have camped near people with generators, and I swore I would never do that as it ruins the quiet that many come out into the boondocks for. So if I am not a desert heat person, and will not be staying in RV parks anymore than forced to, would it make sense to purchase a unit that does not have A/C package and cut the cost and weight? I think I would prefer puting the cost and weight into a solar system and more battery capacity. Is my thinking off base?? Looking for insight of people with experience, especially those that boondock a lot.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
hingarfi

Dale:

I too am a prospective owner of a TM. Like you, I have little interest in staying in full service RV sites. I am considering the following configuration which has options not documented on the TM web site.

40 gal fresh water
15" tires/axle (as in the 3023 - adds about 1000# load capacity)
2-1/2" lift
No AC / awning (so I can still get it in garage)
2 batteries 6V at 225 AH (for dry camping)

Food for thought.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Buzzardrump

I like your configuration - we are also considering a 2720 - hard to decide - I actually think a 2619 would do for us as it would routinely just be the two of us and a lot of the time just me off chasing trout. I am pretty much convinced that I want to put on two 80 watt solar panels to recharge the batteries for longer stays. Biggest problem is finding a used 2720 without A/C and with 15" wheels. would probably be forced into the new TM market
Old 04-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
hingarfi

Dale:

The queen bed and extra 1 foot storage inside and outside pushed me towards the 2720. TM do not have much storage space.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Windbreaker

Leon is right! But, I noted that one of you was from Georgetown, Texas you will wish you had the AC before long. Trailer get hot. It is a long way to trout streams from central Texas. That means one or two nights in 100+ degree trailer with no AC? Think on it.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardrump
Biggest problem is finding a used 2720 with 15" wheels.
Sorry, I don't think you'll find one. My understanding is that this is a special build, not a standard option, and I think the factory has built only 2 or 3 of them.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, since this is the configuration I want on my new one in a year or two.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We skipped the AC and added the darkest reflective window film we could find and a small roll-up awning over the large street-side window of our 2619. They are a significant help but we may eventually add AC if we start camping when it's hot. It's hard to cool the TM down at night if it's gotten really hot during the day.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
ddnavar

Default Kitty likes the A/C

We camp many times in full service RV parks when it will be above 75 degrees -- and we have our cat along for the ride. We couldn't leave him in the TM unattended without the A/C..
Old 04-02-2005, 06:32 AM   #9
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default AC, TV Antenna, and Awning are NOT required...but may be a good idea anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardrump
I have read and re-read threads in this forum and seem to have found the answers to most, if not all, of my basic questions as a prospective owner of a TM. However, one needs asking...Why does everyone seem to have an A/C?? From what I have read, it would appear that it is not of much benefit if you boondock a lot unless you have a generator. The tv antenna is not beneficial if you plan to use satellite, and the awning is supposedly susceptible to wind damage, so not sure I really need those either. I have camped near people with generators, and I swore I would never do that as it ruins the quiet that many come out into the boondocks for. So if I am not a desert heat person, and will not be staying in RV parks anymore than forced to, would it make sense to purchase a unit that does not have A/C package and cut the cost and weight? I think I would prefer puting the cost and weight into a solar system and more battery capacity. Is my thinking off base?? Looking for insight of people with experience, especially those that boondock a lot.
As "Mr. Boondocker" here (about 85% to 90% of my camping is campgrounds that don't have any kind of hookup), I'd suggest you do get the awning and AC.

I almost exclusively camp in cool, forested, high altitude campgrounds...and consider television highly inappropriate in the wilderness. And since I use my trailer as a base camp for long hikes (typically 10 to 15 mile or more) and even longer mountain bike rides (typically 20 to 40 miles), I'm seldomly in the campground from about 8 am to around 5 pm. So I saw no need to order my TM with either AC, awning, or TV antenna.

During the 1st year, I discovered that some "forested" campgrounds don't have much shade...even in mid to late afternoon..and even though the mid day air temperature was pretty comfy (around 65 to 70 degrees), the sun got mighty warm. So I had the dealer add the factory type Fiamma awning before the next season. I used it about 3 times the 2nd season...and maybe twice the third season...but it was so nice to have it when I really needed it that I feel it was worth the substantial cost.

In planning for my 3rd season, I realized I was possibly going to be spending several nights in lower altitude, potentially very warm campgrounds while enroute to the cool, comfy places. Asked the dealer in February about retrofitting my trailer with AC and found he had exactly one retrofit kit left for installing a side AC (my '02 still had the undercounter eletrical plug used for side AC on the older models). So, I had the AC installed. As it turned out, I didn't wind up any low altitude warm places so used the AC exactly one time last year. But, again, I have no regrets about having it installed because having it means I don't have any limitations on where I could go...or any worries about not being able to sleep well if I did wind up in some miserably hot place.

I still see no need for the TV antenna, partly because the only TV I watch is the evening news and partly because most of the campgrounds I use are so far from any TV stations and into the mountains they have zero TV reception anyway.

Sooo, as die-hard boondocker, I'd say that both the awning and the AC have enough potential usage...and would provide some critical comfort that they are worth having...even if you only use them a couple of times a year. Just one sleepless night in a hot, stuffy trailer while enroute would make you really wish you'd ordered that AC. Furthermore, I'm noticing that even the Forest Service is starting to provide electrical hookups in their busier campgrounds...and most State Parks already have them...so the ability to run an AC without having to bring a noisy generator is increasingly likely. But as for the TV antenna...unless you can't do without TV while camping, it's pretty useless for those who boondock and go camping primarily for the outdoors activities.

P.S. The resell issue several have mentioned above is important only if you foresee trading to a different trailer within a few years. If you intend to hang onto your TM for many years, then equip it exactly the way you want it.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
Buzzardrump

Ray:

Thank you for your input....and everyone else. It sounds like I should plan on having an A/C for a variety of reasons. I wonder if I could talk the factory into dropping the TV antennae and maybe putting in an entry point for a combination satellite/cable entry point instead. Worth discussing if I end up going for a new one. More than likely I will purchase a used one and will go from there re: the tv thing. Again thank you for the input.